[kictanet] New Mobile Phenomenon

mwende njiraini mwende.njiraini at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 04:58:04 EAT 2009

Interesting article...

*"For Teens, later to bed, the Worse the Outlook" *

by Greg Toppo, USA Today

Teens whose parents let them stay up after midnight on weeknights have a
much higher chance of being depressed or suicidal than teens whose parents
enforce an earlier bedtime, says research being presented today at a
national sleep conference.

The findings are the first to examine bedtimes' effects on kids' mental
health - and the results are noteworthy. Middle- and high-schoolers whose
parents don't require them to be in bed before midnight on school nights are
42 percent more likely to be depressed than teens whose parents require a 10
p.m. or earlier bedtime. And teens who are allowed to stay up late are 30
percent more likely to have had suicidal thoughts in the past year.

The differences are smaller but still significant - 25 percent and 20
percent, respectively - after controlling for age, sex, race and ethnicity.

A team led by Columbia University Medical Center's James Gangwisch examined
surveys from 15,659 teens and their parents who took part in a National
Institutes of Health (NIH) adolescent health study. Previous research has
established a firm connection between teens getting less sleep and feeling
depressed or suicidal.

The NIH survey found that kids whose parents called for a 9-10 p.m. bedtime
said they were in bed, on average, by 10:04 p.m. They slept for 8 hours and
10 minutes on average, compared with 7 hours for kids allowed to stay up
past midnight.

The lesson for parents is simple, Gangwisch says: try to sell teenagers on
the importance of getting enough sleep. They need about nine hours, the NIH
says.

Rafael Pelayo, an associate professor of pediatric sleep medicine at
Stanford University, agrees.

"They've got to think it's in their own best interest to get to sleep," says
Pelayo, who read the study.

Says Gangwisch, "We feel like we can just eat into our sleep time, but we
pay for it in many different ways."

The data come from analyses of NIH surveys from 1994 to 1996. Gangwisch
believes disparities between teens with and without prescribed bedtimes are
greater today, given greater distractions. In 1996, for instance, teens
couldn't stay up late texting and checking Facebook.

"I would guess that there are more kids getting less sleep," he says.

Gangwisch is presenting the findings in Seattle at SLEEP 2009, the annual
meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies.

*Disclaimer: Views expressed here (except those quoted or referenced) are
the author’s own
*