[kictanet] [Skunkworks] e-Gorvenment: What have been the achievements and challenges?

John K. Njoroge kabogojn at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 11:12:17 EAT 2009

Muskiv (MKC):

Certainly, there has been great progress towards the achievements of
e-Government in Kenya, via alot of Public-Private-People Partnerships
(PPPP). The Directorate of e-Government (DeG) continously works together
with all Government Agencies in this Government Agenda. Below is a small
description of the various developments.

So far:
*Government-to-Citizen (G2C)
*

   - e-Services for Citizens include:
      - Public Service Jobs Online
      - Tracking status of ID & Passport Applications (Online and Via SMS)
      - Checking Exam Results & Candidate Selection (Online and Via SMS)
      - Government Information Portal (www.information.go.ke)
      - Submitting Tax Returns Online
      - Reporting Corruption Online
      - Kenya Judiciary (e-law Reports)
      - HELB Loan Repayment Status Online
      - Other, in progress include – Land registration, Health Information,
      civil registration, etc
   - All govt. ministries have information websites showing among others,
   their services (and service charter), functions and day-to-day activities,
   organization structure, news and events, etc.

*Government-to-Business (G2B)
*

   - e-Services for Businesses in Kenya include:
      - Submitting Tax Returns Online
      - Customs Services Online
      - Reporting Corruption Online
      - Kenya Judiciary (e-law Reports)
      - Other, in progress include – Companies registry.
   - All govt. ministries have information websites showing among others,
   their services (and service charter), functions and day-to-day activities,
   organization structure, news and events, etc.
      - Specifically:
         - E-procurement – Website for Public Procurement Oversight
         Authority (PPOA). Efforts through PPOA (conjunction with Min.
of Finance)
         are ongoing to develop a government-wide procurement portal
to harmonize
         government procurement.
         - Central Bank Of Kenya Website gives financial indicators –
         Interest rate, inflation, Com bank rates, exchange rates,
monthly economic
         reviews
         - Ministry of Trade website gives trade regulations and laws and
         related links e.g. to KAM

**
*Government-to-Government (G2G)
*This Government-to-Employee (G2E) component you mentioned exists under G2G.

   - e-Services for Government include:
      - Public Service Jobs Online
      - Reporting Corruption Online
   - The Government Common Core Network (GCCN) – This is a private network
   for Government of Kenya. It entails networking of Government Buildings
   including KICC. A Network Operation Centre (NOC) managed by a network
   management team already in place.
   - Integrated Financial Management Information System (IFMIS) at Min. of
   Finance. IFMIS is used government-wide by all government agencies.
   - Integrated Personnel and Payroll Data (IPPD) at Min. of State for
   Public Service. IPPD is used government-wide by all central government
   agencies.
   - Enterprise Messaging And Collaboration System (EMACS) – EMACS, a
   Government email system for all civil servants, is intended to improve
   cross-ministry communication and to be used government-wide by all
   government agencies. Its adoption has been rather slow (but picking-up now).
   Note, public sector organizations (at all levels) continue to face
   challenges with inter- and intra-agency communications – from emergency
   preparedness and management to budgeting and basic health and human
   services. The email system, therefore, provides improved collaborative work
   processes and streamlined sharing of information across public sector
   entities.
   -  The website for Public Procurement Oversight Authority (PPOA) provides
   necessary information for all Government Procurement Officers (to use in
   their day-to-day activities). These efforts through PPOA (conjunction with
   Min. of Finance) are ongoing to develop a government-wide procurement portal
   to harmonize government procurement.
   - Standardization of IT hardware and systems – Technical Specifications
   are similar across-board as developed by the Directorate of e-Government.
   Government websites are primarily Content Management Systems and
   database-driven.
   - Monthly ICT Forums held for the sole purpose of exchanging experiences
   across government.
   - Ongoing recruitment of ICT Officers even during Civil Service
   recruitment embargo.
   - Regular technical training and capacity-building in ICT, taking up to
   15% of the e-Government budget annually.
   - Annual review of technical specifications for ICT equipment.
   - Partnerships with development partners (local and international) on
   various e-Government areas, e.g. ICT equipment and capacity-building.

The future is bright for the Government of Kenya and indeed Kenya as a
country, in terms of e-Government and the use of ICTs and the Internet. We
are all working together and your support and encouragement is duly welcome.
Visit www.e-government.go.ke or contact us at DeG for detailed information.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 4:06 PM, muskiv <kulebak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Skunkers,
> The achievement of e-Government in Kenya has been one of the main
> priorities of the Government of Kenya towards the realization of national
> development goals and objectives for Wealth and Employment Creation, as
> stipulated in the Kenya Vision 2030. The Government of Kenya established the
> e-Government Programme in June 2004. Subsequently, the Directorate of
> e-Government (DeG) was established in June 2004 as a Government commitment
> to make e-Government a reality and to ensure that it provides better
> services to Kenyans.
>
> We have all seen effort across different Govt arms towards adoption of some
> form of e-government and if my memory doesn't fail me, i know there have
> been lost of exchanges in this forum directly and indirectly in this
> respect. (e.g. KRA onlines services...and whether they work, the e-gov
> portal launched by KICTB etc)
>
> I read Mworia's article on making of a revolution (posted Frid last week...
> I think 5/0/08) and what captured my attention are the misconceptions that
> many of us could be harboring.
>
> Now...(To the Point) to those knowledgeable than some of us are, could some
> one highlight to me what the broad achievements and REAL impediments have
> been within the last 5 years regarding the provision of following
> e-government services:
> 1. Government-to-Citizen (G2C)
> 2. Government-to-Business (G2B),
> 3. government-to-Employee (G2E), and