[kictanet] Day 3 of 10- BPO Discussions, Institutional Frameworks

Sam Gatere sam.gatere at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 15:18:00 EAT 2009

Listeners Jambo!

I think I Rad's comment is quite interesting building on what Dr. Ndemo had
mentioned about not ignoring local talent and creating niche markets.
However when we speak of not developing new capacity I beg to look at it
differently.  This is a great opportunity to put our educated masses in a
position that may yeild great and better oportunitity.  The other thing i
find challenging on the BPO local industry could be atributed -by me- as
typical Kenyanism... have you cake and eat it... the likes of BBK and
Safaricom have invested heavily in call centers for themselves and in the
possible oportunity that it works out and proves profitable then only then
will they seek to out source the services to others while offering the same
to more profitable deals.

If for a moment we would try not to replicate the Indian model of BPO's and
look a little bit deeper and seek out more inovation we may just start
playing in the right field! for example Microsoft would outsoruce support to
India since they have highly experienced personel in code development! so
who would be better placed to be outsouced? a Kenyan with a great America
Accent or and techie from India who developed the product with a few
challenges with the english accent? However if we looked at building more
local intelecutal capacity and looking at building a local "silicon valley"
maybe we might just attract this big investors we keep talking about...
looking inward may sometime be the best  place to look for then you will be
able to see what lies out there....