[kictanet] Day 2 of 10:-BPO discussions, Legal and Regulatory Frameworks

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 09:33:04 EAT 2009

Colleagues your comments are right, however we seemed to be more inclined at
external perceptions as opposed to building up internal capacity, must it
take foreigners to show us our potential?

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 9:01 AM, munyiva ngea <munyivangea at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I agree with Peter about perception take Mauritius for example the
> Board of Investment and the BPO Vendors strive to change the
> perception of the country as a mere tourist attraction to an ICT Hub.
> They invite prospective investors or clients to the country take them
> to their lavish well equipped offices, which are probably located in
> Ebene Cyber City the landing point of the Submarine cable so the
> clients are assured of available internet infrastructure.After the
> site visit the clients are then whisked away to have a fantastic
> weekend on the beaches or on a boat. Simply put they show clients they
> can do much more than provide BPO services they can offer quality of
> life.
>
> To answer Question 3 i think without the government and local vendors
> taking decisive steps to attract and retain investors and clients to
> the country. Basically we need to give officials who are marketing the
> country the funds to be able to invite the prospective investors and
> clients to the country to show them we sufficient infrastructure and
> Human resources.
>
> In order to build confidence in the country's capabilities we have to
> have to EVIDENCE of these capabilities take India for example with its
> National Skills Registry which is an industry initiative to ensure
> that individuals employed by organizations have their background and
> antecedents verified
> (http://news.indiamart.com/news-analysis/national-skills-regi-13182.html)
> prospective clients need only to browse through the site to be assured
> that the country has the Human resource capacity needed. What about
> Kenya apart from various websites which allow individuals to upload
> their CVs where can a prospective client get information on the
> available agents, software developers and so on?? this information is
> not available on various institutional websites (universities,
> colleges) so how do we expect a client to actually believe that we are
> capable if we are unable to show it (Perception again!!)
>

> --
> Best regards
> Munyiva Ngea

Barrack O. Otieno
ISSEN CONSULTING
Tel:
+254721325277
+254733206359
http://projectdiscovery.or.ke
To give up the task of reforming society is to give up ones responsibility
as a free man.
Alan Paton, South Africa