[kictanet] Day 2 of 10:-BPO discussions, Legal and Regulatory Frameworks

Catherine Adeya elizaslider at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 3 14:39:11 EAT 2009

Muriuki et. al.,

This is very useful information and kindly share the multi-country study you discuss below; I emphasize the importance of collating these studies with a common goal in mind . One important issue you raise (and this was confirmed by the BPO research team while in the UK) is literally based on 'Field of Dreams'....that is "...if you build it they will come". The confidence that we show in our local BPO sector will boost the confidence of the potential foreign investors. The reasons why some of the key players prefer to operate their own contact sectors vary and some are credible. And this takes me back to the question Walu has raised that with the submarine cables landing soon and given the many developments in the legal/regulatory frameworks; why is Kenya not experiencing the anticipated boom in the BPO sector? Did we miss something along the way especially within our regulatory framework, is it something we can pull back or work on quite quickly as the
 other potential BPO desitinations like Egypt, Mauritius and SA are not waiting for us to get it right. And then what  should we do to get local and foreign investors to show more confidence in the BPO industry?

My sixpence worth!

Nyaki