[kictanet] My take: your opportunity own a laptop, , interest-free government facilitated loan

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Thu Jul 23 15:08:54 EAT 2009

Crystal,
At yesterday's meeting, we created a team comprising of bankers,
operators, vendors, government and other inerested parties to come up with
a framework.  Paul Kukubo will chair the team.  They are to report back in
a week's time.  Please contact him directly.

Ndemo.

> Can someone in the government send the information on what is required for
> laptop suppliers to be eligible to participate? Who would suppliers
> contact?
>
> Many blessings,
>
> Crystal
>
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Solomon Mburu <solo.mburu at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> My take on this one:
>>
>> I would the govt give two choices, either go for a Laptop without any
>> Operating System, and you sort yourself on how you can acquire one
>> and/or
>> pre-install trial OS's (assuming you'll go for window-based OS) or, go
>> for
>> Alex's opinion. Pre-install a FOSS and let the consumers decide what
>> they
>> want.
>>
>> I gather there are people who cannot use any FOSS due to either
>> ignorance
>> or not well acquainted with it's operations or still, being used to
>> Window-based OSs.
>>
>> Giving people choices, will create an urge to diversify their needs.
>>

>> 2009/7/23 Victor Gathara <v-gathara at dfid.gov.uk>
>>
>>> Alex
>>>
>>> Thanks for this. Have heard a lot about this project but scanty
>>> details.
>>> Couple of questions:
>>>
>>> - How does the lending institution confirm that the loans are for
>>> laptops
>>> and not other 'needs'; a kind of receipting system?
>>> - How to prevent individuals/institutions making money off this i.e.
>>> buy
>>> laptops to sell on at a profit? Branding?
>>>
>>> Probably all been worked out but as the article says we would like to
>>> have
>>> more info on this project.
>>>
>>> Victor

>>> www.fedoraproject.org,
>>> en.opensuse.org, www.redhat.com, etc). that all come with free
>>> OpenOffice. Give local IT youths installation contracts for these and
> [...]
>>> updated as
>>> events unfold.
>>>
>>> Enjoy,
>>>
>>> Alex
>>>
>>> -----
>>>
>>> [Business Daily]
>>> State to guarantee loans for laptops
>>> By Okuttah Mark
>>> Thursday, July 23 2009
>>>
>>> Organisations or individuals seeking to take advantage of this year's
>>> budget stimulus package on laptops are free to negotiate with any
>>> banking
>>> institution, computer vendors or the telecommunication companies.
>>>
>>> This follows the announcement by the government through the Permanent
>>> Secretary for Information, Dr Bitange Ndemo. that the government will
>>> only
>>> facilitate the process but the negotiations will be done by interested
>>> parties on their own.
>>>
>>> The incentive was offered by Finance minister Uhuru Kenyatta during
>>> this
>>> year's budget and aims at accelerating computer access in the country.
>>>
>>> In the one million computer campaign, the government will guarantee
>>> money
>>> borrowed either by individuals or organisations to buy the laptop
>>> between
>>> now and June, next year. The government will also pay the interest on
>>> the
>>> loan.
>>>

>>> http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Company%20Industry/-/539550/628254/-/u8x1gfz/-/index.html

>>> your options at
>>> http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/v-gathara%40dfid.gov.uk
>>>
>>> ________________________________________________________________________
>>> This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star. The service is
>>> powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus
>>> service working around the clock, around the globe, visit:
>>> http://www.star.net.uk
>>> ________________________________________________________________________
>>>
>>> DFID, the Department for International Development: leading the British
>>> Government's fight against world poverty. Find out more about the major
>>> global poverty challenges and get the facts on what DFID is doing to
>>> fight
>>> them: http://www.dfid.gov.uk
>>>

>> --
>> Solomon Mburu
>> P.O. Box 19343 - 00202 Nairobi
>> Cell: (+254-0) 735 431041
>>
>> Man is a gregarious animal and enjoys agreement as cows will graze all
>> the
>> same way to the side of a hill!
>>
>> AND
>>
>> It is better to die in dignity than in the ignomity of ambiguous
>> generosity!
>>

>> Sent from Nairobi, Kenya

> Crystal "Naliaka" Watley Kigoni
> Voices of Africa for Sustainable Development
> crystal at voicesofafrica.org
> http://www.voicesofafrica.org/
>
> "You must be the change you wish to see" - Gandhi

dangerous content by Jambo MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.