[kictanet] My take: your opportunity own a laptop, , interest-free government facilitated loan

Crystal Watley Kigoni crystal at voicesofafrica.org
Thu Jul 23 10:25:33 EAT 2009

Can someone in the government send the information on what is required for
laptop suppliers to be eligible to participate? Who would suppliers contact?

Many blessings,

Crystal

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Solomon Mburu <solo.mburu at gmail.com> wrote:

> My take on this one:
>
> I would the govt give two choices, either go for a Laptop without any
> Operating System, and you sort yourself on how you can acquire one and/or
> pre-install trial OS's (assuming you'll go for window-based OS) or, go for
> Alex's opinion. Pre-install a FOSS and let the consumers decide what they
> want.
>
> I gather there are people who cannot use any FOSS due to either ignorance
> or not well acquainted with it's operations or still, being used to
> Window-based OSs.
>
> Giving people choices, will create an urge to diversify their needs.
>

> 2009/7/23 Victor Gathara <v-gathara at dfid.gov.uk>
>
>> Alex
>>
>> Thanks for this. Have heard a lot about this project but scanty details.
>> Couple of questions:
>>
>> - How does the lending institution confirm that the loans are for laptops
>> and not other 'needs'; a kind of receipting system?
>> - How to prevent individuals/institutions making money off this i.e. buy
>> laptops to sell on at a profit? Branding?
>>
>> Probably all been worked out but as the article says we would like to have
>> more info on this project.
>>
>> Victor

Crystal "Naliaka" Watley Kigoni
Voices of Africa for Sustainable Development
crystal at voicesofafrica.org
http://www.voicesofafrica.org/

"You must be the change you wish to see" - Gandhi