[kictanet] Creativity and Living Abroad

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 14:19:10 EAT 2009

Thought provoking messrs Luvisia and Siganga, i like your analogy bw
Siganga, i dont agree with the saying that you can take a Villager to the
City but you can't remove the Village from him, it is all about
socialization
Regards

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 1:05 PM, waudo siganga <emailsignet at mailcan.com>wrote:

> Thanks for sharing the article Luvisia. The study results tend to
> confirm common observation worldwide. Looked at in another way people in
> home environments tend to be more complacent; maybe living in one's
> homestead poses less dangers/challenges and so the brain gets less
> sharp/alert. Will read he article.
> Waudo
>
> On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 12:20 -0400, "Luvisia Bakuli"
> <luvisia.bakuli at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Maddux and Galinsky (2009) have published a thought-provoking article
> > reporting a significantly positive relationship between living abroad
> > and creativity. The researchers wanted to answer the question:"does
> > spending time in new cultures transform individuals into more creative
> > beings?"
> >
> > Using five creative contexts to answer the question, the researchers
> > said that in one test that involved a creative negotiation deal, the
> > results indicated that "the amount of time spent living abroad, but not
> > traveling abroad, significantly predicted whether a deal was reached
> > even when [they] controlled for a variety of important personality and
> > demographic factors. Openness to experience predicted creative
> > deals . . . "
> >
> > Access to a greater number of novel ideas and concepts; ability to
> > approach problems from different perspectives; and psychological
> > readiness to accept and recruit ideas from unfamiliar sources -- which
> > may lead to unconscious idea recombination and conceptual expansion,
> > both being critical processes in the creative process, are among the
> > elements that contribute to the creativity.
> >
> > I think this article will spawn a long list of research. It leads to
> > many questions, some of which I can guess to be: Is there is a positive
> > relationship between living in another culture, within a country, and
> > creativity? For example, are Kambas who have lived in Nyanza more
> > creative than those who never left Ukambani? If so, how long would they
> > need to live in the alien culture to improve their creativity? What are
> > the educational policy implications for educational institutions - does
> > having a students spend a good amount of time in a foreign culture
> > improve their creativity? At what age should one go abroad, and for how
> > long, in order to improve their creativity?
> >
> > The complete citation for the article is:
> >
> > Maddux, William W. and Adam D. Galinsky. Journal of Personality and
> > Social Psychology,  Vol. 96, No. 5, pp. 1047-1061.
> >
> > Here is a link to the article:
> > http://www.apa.org/journals/releases/psp9651047.pdf
> >
> > And a summary of the article is also here:
> > http://www.apa.org/releases/creativity.html
> >

> > What do you think? I'd be interested in your take on the article.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > DBL

> http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/emailsignet%40mailcan.com
> There is nothing more demoralizing than a small but adequate income.
>  - Edmund Wilson

Barrack O. Otieno
Administrative Manager
Afriregister Ltd (Ke)
Tel:
+254721325277
+254733206359
www.afriregister.com
To give up the task of reforming society is to give up ones responsibility
as a free man.
Alan Paton, South Africa