[kictanet] Day 5 of 10-KCA 2008, IT Section - the Bad + Recommendations

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 09:32:31 EAT 2009

If i may contribute to this exchange i think the discussion is important
Bill. The Law is already in place , however everyone seems to be having
their own opinion on the Pro's and Cons of the New law which is
counterproductive in the long run for the sector.Dont forget there are
vested interests and sideshows in this whole Law issue, as practitioners it
is important that we are all informed on the benefits (or good tidings) that
the new new law brings and the challenges it might bring to the sector in
the long run.In short as others are submitting their petitions let the
debate continue, we were challenged at the Hilton Forum to embrace Research
and the kind of information being exchanged on this forum is of utmost
importance to all members.

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 3:55 PM, John Walubengo <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Bill,
>
> I have no game plan, I am an Academician and so find that I am able to look
> at this issues from each stakeholders perspective relatively objectively  -
> and yes my effort was 'duly' commissioned by the KICTANet National
> Cordinator - though not digitally signed :-(.
>
> This 10day exercise is not intended in anywway to undermine any other
> 'fact-finding' exercise and I believe the Ministry (of Info) does have the
> resources to multi-task and receive ideas from face-2-face workshops, online
> workshops, et al.
>
> With regard to timeliness - last I heard was that Wako (AG) and/or
> Parliament can only begin to debate the suggested recommendations/proposals
> in April 2009 under a new Bill. So my take is that we have enough time for
> KICTAnet, ISACA and/or any other Stakeholder to submit their ideas.
>
> Why go into the other Sections -IT, Telco, Postal, etc?. Again, my brief
> was to do total review of ALL sections - avoid being trapped in the
> over-hyped Media vs Govt debate because all the other sections are important
> too and could stand to benefit from a review.
>
> I attach the Program Outline which I posted on Day 1 and looks like you
> missed it (hence your suspicions?). Nevertheless, If members wish that we
> rest the discussion, I will close the discussion and move out of the Chair
> accordingly.
>
> ~~~~~~~#########Attached Program Outline###########
>
> Kenya Communication Ammendment Act –Online Discussion.
>
> Outline Description
> The Kenyan Government has enacted the Kenya  Information
> and Communication Amendment Act (2009) - popularly known as
> the ICT Bill/Media Bill and KICTAnet invites comments on the
> same.  Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a
> multi-stakeholder forum that aims to enhance collaboration
> between various Government,  Private Sector, Civil Society,
> Academia and others interested in harnessing ICT for
> development.
>
> Program Setting & Description:
>
> The Act has the following major categories and shall be
> discussed as outlined below:
>  i)    Broadcasting & Media(3days)
>  ii)    Information Technology (2days)
>  iii)    Telecommunication & Radio (2days)
>  iv)    Postal (1day)
>  v)    Academia & Socio-Cultural (implied within text)-2days
>
> Members shall analyse the Act over a period of two weeks
> and submit their findings for subsequent consideration to
> the Ministry of Information and Communication.
>
> Aim:  To understand the implications of the Act and make
> recommendations for improvement.
>
> Objective
>  1.    To identify and list the possible gaps, amendments and
>  additions within the Kenya Communication Ammendment Act
>
>  Main Outcomes/Deliverables
>  1.    Participants contributions as captured and stored within  the Online
> Environment
>  2.    Summarised  contributions in terms of Action-Items (add,
> [...]

Barrack O. Otieno
ISSEN CONSULTING
Tel:
+254721325277
+254726544442
+254733206359
www.issenconsult.com
http://projectdiscovery.or.ke
To give up the task of reforming society is to give up ones responsibility
as a free man.
Alan Paton, South Africa