[kictanet] Obama team seeks delay in US digital TV switch

alice alice at apc.org
Tue Jan 13 22:21:56 EAT 2009

http://www.blnz.com/news/2009/01/08/Obama_team_seeks_delay_digital_1582.html

Obama team seeks delay in US digital TV switch

AFP
AFP American Edition

Jan 07, 2009 19:00 EST

US president-elect Barack Obama's transition team has asked for a delay
in the nation's scheduled switch to digital television next month,
citing funding difficulties.

The Obama transition team co-chair John Podesta has written to key US
lawmakers asking for an extension to the February 17
legislatively-mandated analog cutoff date, according to copy of the
letter made available to AFP.

Obama will take over from President George Bush on January 20.

Based on plans by the Bush administration, stations will cease their
analog transmissions and broadcast only in digital form from February
17, requiring consumers who rely on over-the-air signals to install
converter boxes.

Consumers are to be provided with a 40-dollar coupon to defray the cost
of the converter but Podesta said the program to distribute the coupons
"has run out of funds."

"During the transition, we have discovered major difficulties in the
preparation for the February 17 conversion from analog to digital
broadcasting," he said.

"These weaknesses mean major problems for consumers."

By early February projections suggested more than five million coupon
requests would not be met, with the figure "increasing by hundreds of
thousands every day," he said.

In addition, the funds provided to support the conversion are "woefully
inadequate," he said, pointing out that particularly low income, rural
and elderly Americans would be hit.

"With coupons unavailable, support and education insufficient, and the
most vulnerable Americans exposed, I urge you to consider a change to
the legislatively-mandated analog cutoff date," Podesta said in the
letter to key legislators in the Senate and House of Representatives.

The US Congress reportedly allocated 1.34 billion dollars to the
National Telecommunications and Information Administration to distribute
converter box coupons.

The switch to digital television will free up wireless airwaves for
public safety agencies and other advanced mobile services.

An auction of those analog airwaves raised 19 billion dollars for the
government last year, according to the the Washington Post.

Major American broadcasters have signaled that they support a delay.

"Our first concern is what's best for our viewers, and we believe that
the Obama-Biden Transition Team shares our concern," media giant News
Corporation said in a statement Thursday.

But the Consumer Electronics Association, an industry group, suggested
keeping the February 17 transition date.

It said converter boxes were available in sufficient supply and
consumers were aware of and prepared for the transition, but added
legitimate concerns about the coupon program should be addressed
immediately.

"If the goal is to avoid consumer confusion, keeping the February 17
transition date that is engrained in consumer minds is the best
solution," said association president Gary Shapiro

Source:
http://www.blnz.com/news/2009/01/08/Obama_team_seeks_delay_digital_1582.html