[kictanet] Broadcast/Media Section:-What are the good Aspects?-1day

Faima Basly basly1 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 12 23:20:17 EAT 2009

Mr Walu,

I would like to comment on the on this part, For me if the government is serious about a programming code then they must be reasonable about its implementation. It has to be a preventative approach not a punitive one.

There are two sides to this coin

I suspect the challenge that the media may be reacting to in the fact that the regulator/MinICT has not outlined the standards that will be used to determine appropriateness of content to be aired. so fear, masked as loss of control is driving the emotions through the depleted Ozone layer.

By now direction on acceptable pre-watershed standards - attire,
storylines, values, genres etc should be published for there to be meaningful
debate. We are largely watching programing that is produced in the west
and aired at the same time as we air it here, we are making noise
because its not a cultural fit. So where are guidelines that follow our
own cultures that will determine foreign content on our local TV
stations? In any case if it isnt good for the young ones why should it
be okay for adults?
whats morally eroding for children is morally
eroding for adults,I dare say.

One side of the coin to me, is one of personal choice, if one
feels the program is not age appropriate why is the TV on? Switch it
off until news time, so why are we blaming the media, its only out to
lure viewwership and make money? Dont get lured .

Why does a regulator or government feel the need to exercise moral authority?
Will the regulator also Monitor cable and Digital TV showing locally? . Its on kenyan airwaves in kenyan homes watched by kenyan families..The principle will have to be the same.

Will there be regulation for Video and DVD libraries - or is it a
question of choice to pick porn as opposed to a national geographic
DVD? is this not the same as the home TV which one paid for?

The other side of the coin, TV stations get into contracts that are worth millions of shillings to secure programming that is competitive and will pull and sustain a certain calibre of viewership which in turn they sell to their advertisers. They also commit way in advance for said programs and cannot wake up and cancel their contracts. It would not suprise me if what is being aired today was committed to in 2007. so there is a real potential loss of money here. Ofcourse they will cry foul. The media has itself to blame as competitiveness for viewership kept raising the bar ...

Factors of influence fall far outside the TV nowadays - lets regulate Magazines too while we are at it, novels, PSP's ( lots of violent programs), Music videos, Toys ( have you seen how they dress barbie dolls nowadays?), games etc.

The task of creating a programming code is noble indeed, however it will be prepared by humans with varying degrees of socio-cultural influences and it will be interesting to see the rationales behind the programming codes that are set and most important how they will be upheld reasonably without pulling media licenses and cutting programming half way.

Engage the media and other stakeholders fully on this process and sanity will prevail.

Ms Basly