[kictanet] Comms ACT - What happens to KENIC?

Vincent Ngundi vngundi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 13:56:30 EAT 2009

Dear Michuki and all,

Thank you for your comments.

Please note that the KENIC Board appreciates all these issues. As
such, in its Board meeting last week, the Board set a special meeting
to study the Act and its implications on KENIC and to chart a way
forward.

Kind Regards,

-----------
Vincent Ngundi
Administrative Manager
KENIC - The Kenya Network Information Centre
http://www.kenic.or.ke
vincent at kenic.or.ke
[T] +254 20 4450057/8
[C] +254 20 2398036
[M] +254 733 790073
[F] +254 20 4450087

"dot KE for Every Name in Kenya!"

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Michuki Mwangi <michuki at swiftkenya.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> According to the new communications ACT, it appears that going forward
> KENIC will have to acquire a license (from CCK) to continue managing the
> ccTLD.
>
> KENIC is established as a PPP of which CCK is a party to.
>
> 1) Is there any precedence where the regulator (CCK) is party to or
> legally seats on the board of licensee ?. Wouldnt this constitute to a
> conflict of interest on its end? if not then all is well.
>
> a) If this is the case, what impact would this have on the organizations
> governance structure, the ppp model and where KENIC is hosted.
>
> b) Worth taking note, with the model being recognized as a global best
> practice for ccTLDs, what message are we sending out to the rest of the
> world?.
>
> 2) With the introductions of Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) and
> IDN ccTLDs by ICANN, does that mean i now have an opportunity to apply
> for a license to run the .ke equivalent in arabic script? and use the
> same license to acquire the mandate from ICANN.
>
> 3) Section 88 - does it mean that anyone can also now go and apply for a
> license to operate second levels under ccTLDs. For instance are we ready
> to run a split registry where .go.ke is run by e-gov and .ac.ke is run
> by KENET etc; and others that maybe proposed (since its subject to
> license issuance) in the future. For argument sake 'i have an
> application for .bank.ke for the financial sector and the catch would be
> that i would provide DNNSEC which KENIC doesnt offer at the moment.' Do
> i qualify for a sub-registry license?
>
> IMHO, i hope such and issues that i have noted on the Certificate
> Authority sections are equally reviewed for the greater good.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Michuki.

"It's not the bullet with my name on it that worries me. It's the one
that says 'To whom it may concern'."