[kictanet] Kibaki signs Bill into law

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 08:18:09 EAT 2009

Well Bwana Makali,

As you may have realised media and ICT seem to be strange bedfellows even
though we are together in the name of convergence the more reason this
debate has taken this angle. Nonetheless i guess Bill has just laid on the
table facts that might need to be considered by the media fraternity and i
am happy you have read through his write  up. We all know where this country
has come from and we shouldnt continue talking about politicians nor
comparing ourselves to them because we know what they are made of.
As one of the leaders of the media fratenity it is important that you
highlight the above mentioned issues to members of the fraternity because
your house is not in order, it is unprofessional or shall we say unethical
to attack personalities and institutions the way the media did in the past
few days because of their opinions however much you would like to justify
what you did, your acts only served to prove how media can polarise the
Nation.
Nonetheless the new act brings good tidings to the ICT sector despite the
scare tactics being deployed i am yet to come across a balanced view of the
act devoid of sensationalism from a member of the fourth estate other
than the attacks being meted on personalities can we start with you Bwana
Makali, where were you guys at the stakeholders negotiations to raise this
issues as the PS asked? i bet this issues were there even then....What i am
saying David is that the media needs to get its act together your house is
not in order

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 1:12 AM, <dmakali at yahoo.com> wrote:

> What disadvantage to ICT, Gilda, is caused by lumping so called ICT with
> broadcasting issues? That's hilarious.
> As for Bill's pontification below, my verdict is that he should seek to
> inform himself about media operations in kenya and elsewhere first before he
> purports to educate others. Some of the views he espouses are extremely
> pedestrian altho he wants to pass them off as truth. While I agree with the
> need to curb media conentration and monopolies, his suggestions about daily
> press being owned by the public or the masses are a bit misplaced. And the
> points being raised by the media are not necessarily those of media owners.
> Hello! Remove your blinkers and see facts for what they are. Your defence of
> the president and minister reeks of the sycophancy of yore. Presidents and
> ministers have to take responsibility for their actions or inaction, they
> are not rubber stamps!
> Ask yourself why we have media concentration now, and how come most
> frequencies are held by politicians and or their cronies or allies. How did
> michuki, midiwo, koigi, etc come to own frequencies? Isn't there a cck?
> Don't you think it should be independent to avoid being bullied or be
> shielded from political directives?
> And to say the Act should be renamed ICT and not media doesn't amount to
> much change. Moreover, let the law speak for itself, we don't need anyone to
> explain its intentions or the meaning - least of all you! You are neither
> its author or implementer. A good law should be explicit and unambiguous in
> its meaning, not open to diff interpretation. Which is part of the problem
> with the new Act. Be honest at least. Skewed logic and such other partisan
> and ignorant views about the media and how it should investigate stories are
> clearly outside this law. Don't give it imaginary power. True, training and
> capacity of the media are issues worth discussing but not in this context.
> That's dabbling in  territory about which you can only speculate. Before you
> lament, have you ever investigated a story or given a newspaper an
> investigative lead? And to claim that the duty of a journalist is to report
> the truth and publish regardless of the consequence is plainly naïve and
> insensitive.
> Before you go far, read sect 5 of the Bill. One would expect that since you
> are reading the bill uncritically when the weaknesses of the bill are
> pointed out you begin to appreciate the concerns raised and not remain
> dogmatic in your belief that every criticism in malicious and govt is
> infallible. No?
> Let's engage in constructive arguments and not spread hate. You have much
> to thank the media for than you know or can admit.
>  David
>

> Sent from my BlackBerry(R) wireless device

Barrack O. Otieno
ISSEN CONSULTING
Tel:
+254721325277
+254726544442
+254733206359
www.issenconsult.com
http://projectdiscovery.or.ke
To give up the task of reforming society is to give up ones responsibility
as a free man.
Alan Paton, South Africa