[kictanet] Kenya: Good Mobile Access Fails To Boost Weak Connectivity Rating 2009

Catherine Adeya elizaslider at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 27 16:40:21 EAT 2009

Bwana Ndemo,

I have just browsed the report and you may be onto something. Sometimes I do question these kinds of studies....the methodology, sample used (how representative it is) etc. etc. Below is an extract from the report, the 2nd bullet point alone would be a problem in the Kenyan context,  there seems to be a lot on the issue of 'infrastructure' and 'usage and skills' throughout. Yes, I may love academic research but there is something too academic about this one.....let me rest my case there....here is the said extract:

The results from academic research suggested that in order to construct an index or
scorecard of connectivity that actually linked connectivity to economic performance, we
needed to look at:

• whether countries were “connecting up” in the right places—e.g., countries were
deploying infrastructure and making use of telecommunications and ICT in
those sectors of the economy that were most important to generating long-term
economic growth,
• whether investment in infrastructure was being matched up by investment in
“usage or skills”, and
• how economically beneficial investment in infrastructure was, as opposed to
investment in usage and skills.

We therefore had to answer the following questions:
• If the economy was divided into its constituent actors— the government sector,
the business sector and the consumer sector—how to weight the importance of
these sectors in a way that captures the role of the business sector in terms of
productivity contributions?
• How can we rank countries according to, not just the availability of infrastructure
and the penetration rate of infrastructure, but also the usage level of the
infrastructure by consumers, businesses and governments? How can we factor
in the complementary investments in human and organisational capital,
particularly by businesses, i.e. in what we call “useful connectivity”?

Thus the Connectivity Scorecard methodology:
• divided the economy into the consumer sector, the business sector, and the
government sector,
• gave weights to the consumer sector, business sector and government sector
that matched their importance in economic activity,
• split each of the consumer, business and government categories into
“infrastructure” and “usage and skills” components and allocated individual
measures to either of these two sub-categories3, and
• allocated weights to the “infrastructure” and “usage and skills” categories.