[kictanet] Kenya: Good Mobile Access Fails To Boost Weak Connectivity Rating 2009

alice alice at apc.org
Fri Feb 27 09:05:37 EAT 2009

It is a Nokia Siemens study using what they are calling "the
connectivity scorecard" Is it a new way of measuring connectivity? not
sure if this has been done elsewhere before?

Full presentation can be found here
http://www.connectivityscorecard.org/methodology/

brief explanation below.

    Methodology

The Connectivity Scorecard is the first index to examine quality and
quantity of ICT usage and infrastructure and to link it to a country’s
social and economic prosperity.

25 ‘Resource and Efficiency Driven’ and 25 ‘Innovation Driven’ economies
are studied (as defined by the World Economic Forum (WEF))* in this
first phase.

The first step taken is to divide the economy into 3 ‘pillars’,
business, consumer and government and assign weights to these pillars.
The greatest weighting is given to the business ‘pillar’ since it is a
key contributor to productivity growth.

For each component of the scorecard countries are benchmarked against
the best-in-class in their tier. Low scores reflect gaps in a country’s
infrastructure, usage or both. (see table 1 below)

Results indicate there is a real opportunity to add hundreds of billions
of dollars in economic benefit by rethinking how countries measure and
enable connectivity. Not even the world’s richest economies can afford
to be complacent.

*For more information on the WEF classification system go to:
http://www.weforum.org/en/fp/gcr_2006-07_highlights/index.htm

/Identifying the Key Elements of Sustainable Growth, pages 10 -13"
/

/best
/

/alice