[kictanet] @ 2010 Not Yet Uhuru

Michael Joseph MJoseph at Safaricom.co.ke
Wed Dec 30 14:56:39 EAT 2009

In my opinion these are not accidents that happen on our roads
involving public transport. This is murder or homicide at the very
least. Most of these drivers know they are driving unroadworthy
vehicles at excessive speeds and therefore should be charged with
premedidated murder. I would happily sponsor a programme to prove this
point and drive home the lessons that we should be learning. Only when
the industry is faced with the appropriate punishment for their crimes
will they take notice.

We accept these "accidents" too readily as a result of "burst tires"
and "potholes" but most are avoidable. Our law enforcement agencies
are Ill equipped and lack the knowledge to be really effective. How
many have ever driven a vehicle at speed? How many have ever seen the
effects of bald tires, poor brakes or steering, over crowding etc?

We have all been through road blocks that are purely toll stations and
seen obviously unroadworthy vehicles sail through?

My thoughts on this precursor to another grisly New Year on our roads.

May I take this opportunity to wish all on this list a great and
peaceful New Year.

Regards
Michael Joseph
CEO Safaricom

Sent from my iPhone

On 30 Dec 2009, at 14:12, "Rad!" <conradakunga at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bwana Ndemo,
>
> I agree with you 1000% about the regulate part.
>
> This Christmas I travelled to Kieni using public means. Among my
> observations
>
> The speed governor ship appears to have sailed. That Nissan I
> travelled with hit speeds of up to 150km/h
> Police are not interested in regulating anything other than their
> cash at hand position. There were exactly twelve police checks
> between Nairobi and Nyeri. The vehicle was stopped at each. At at
> least 3 of them I saw money change hands between driver and the
> officers
> From Nyeri town to Kieni the Nissan that ostensibly should legally
> sit 11 sat TWENTY TWO people. We passed through about 3 checks with
> uninterested policemen who could clearly see that it was overloaded.
> If the people charged to clamp down on such renege on their duties,
> what hope is there?
>
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 2:04 PM, <bitange at jambo.co.ke> wrote:
> Dear Barrack,
> You have a nice presidential name.  You should not be confused with
> all
> the questions you pose.  Yes we shall continue to have accidents
> until we
> have a mass transportation system.  I have argued before that the
> role of
> Government is facilitate.  I need to add one more function: regulate.
> There is need to facilitate proper mass transportation system in
> country
> and then have a strong regulator.  When I was young in late 70s, OTC
> then
> a Mass Transport system along with the Kenya Bus had a log in system
> that
> they could not be in Nakuru for example if they had not been
> scheduled to
> be there.  Things worked then even Malaysians came to learn from
> us.  With
> GPS and other ICT solutions, we should manage to safe our peoples's
> lifes.
>
> Now in the midist of greed we need serious reforms and selflessness.
> Reviving the rail system should be priority number one but transport
> companies keep on sabotaging the rail system for their own selfish
> ends.
> Yes we have told our transport officials to reform the sector.
>

> Ndemo
>

> > Distinguished listers,
> >
> > I have read through the comments and still feel it is not yet time
> > celebrate, what we have simply done in the year 2009 is to build
> buses
> > (Policies, Infrastructure , Strategies) however Kenyans are still
> walking
> > on
> > foot and hurting their toes as a result since they havent seen the
> > difference this buses will make in their lives. Many gains have
> been made
> > but they still don't resonate with the common man for instance
> [...]

NOTE:
The information in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended only for the use of the named addressee.

Emails are susceptible to alteration and their integrity cannot be guaranteed.
Safaricom Limited does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this
email if the same is found to have been altered or manipulated.
The contents and opinions expressed in this email are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of Safaricom Limited. Safaricom Limited
disclaims any liability to the fullest extent permissible by law for any consequences
that may arise from the contents of this email including but not limited to personal
opinions, malicious and/or defamatory information and data/codes that may compromise
or damage the integrity of the recipient’s information technology systems.
If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender and immediately delete
this email from your system.Unless expressly stated by a duly authorised officer of
Safaricom Limited nothing contained in this email message may be construed as being
an offer to contract or an acceptance of an offer capable of constituting a contract
between Safaricom Limited and any recipient(s) of this email.