[kictanet] My 2 cents on settling the Mau evicties

Solomon Mburu Kamau solo.mburu at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 20:47:11 EAT 2009

Dear Robert,

That is the essence of development - convert every rural area into an urban
centre with workable social amenities in order to curb the trend of thinking
that urban centres, read Nairobi, are the only place where one can get
source of livelihood. Imagine the many man-hours wasted on our roads every
weekday because of traffic jams. People stream to the city because that's
where government offices are based, thus an easy reach for them to get
services which they need.

When I look at Vision 2030, I see a really committed government aimed at
improving the social welfare of the people by providing services (education,
hospitals, telecommunications etc) closer to the people.

I'm also seeing a situation where the Mau evicitees, squatters and any other
landless people will be a thing of the past.

Creating these clusters is indeed an important milestone to develop Kenya
fully, into a middle level industrialized nation by 2030, then we are
heading in the right direction.
There is something which I have not seen in the Vision 2030 (corrections are
welcome). We are not talking about diversifying services. For example, (even
in the Harmonized Draft Constitution), all the services are driven towards
the capital City, Nairobi e.g. parliament is to be in Nairobi etc
If we do like South Africa, where  the Capital City is not the Judicial City
or the Industrial City, then growth of Kenya would be achieved in the
shortest time possible. From my GHC, in Primary School, Thika and Eldoret
were strategically placed where  they are as industrial towns. No wonder
fish is harvested in Kisumu, but the fish processing factory is in Thika!
Nairobi can be left to be the capital city, Mombasa be the tourism city,
Kisumu (?),  then Parliament be transferred to, say Kisii, Law courts be
transferred to, say West Pokot. This does not mean that the other towns will
not be having tourists, or courts, but we have main cities having these
agencies/services.

I'm not a civil planner, but I think this can be viable means of developing
Kenya.

Regards,

--
Solomon Mburu Kamau