[kictanet] My 2 cents on settling the Mau evicties

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 8 14:17:44 EAT 2009

Hi Solomon,

Once the government has developed the rural areas to have schools, sewage, power, hospitals and the rest would this not have become an urban area?

Definitions

An urban area is an area with an increased density of human-created structures in comparison to the areas surrounding it. ...

Urban areas have a population of at least 1,000 and no fewer than 400
persons per square kilometre. They include both census metropolitan
areas ...

What this tells us is that for urbanization there needs to be concentration thus making it cheaper & easier to provide services or amenities.  A good reflection is the recent outbreak of cholera, in the prison it was identified and stopped within a few days as the trend of infections was easily picked up.

In North Eastern the full effect is still not known as the population is spread out.

What the president is advocating is that for us to develop faster we need to create clusters where services can be easily provided.  Kenya Power realised that there was greater potential in Kibera, Soweto and Nyalenda than in Mandera, El dama Ravine or Garsen.  Rome was not based on 5 acre blocks but multi storied structures.

We do not need to recreate the wheel resettling the Mau people in 5 acres blocks is just propagating perpetual poverty.  Regards

Robert Yawe

KAY System Technologies Ltd

Phoenix House, 6th Floor

P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200