[kictanet] My 2 cents on settling the Mau evicties

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 8 10:52:02 EAT 2009

After reading the presidents Kenyatta day speech he actually set the agenda meeting the 2030 objectives.  I feel that if the government has the good will they should start by applying this issue in Mau.

Extract from President's Kenyatta day speech
"For the better
  part of our history, Kenya has been a rural-based economy, with a few cities
  and towns. These lifestyles and livelihoods cannot sustain us much longer under
  the double pressure arising from relentless rapid population growth and the
  changing climate.

This reality will
  make it very difficult for the bulk of our people to draw their sustenance from
  farming or livestock keeping.

We have no choice
  but to plan for rapid urbanization and rural eco-cluster settlements. We must
  plan for several large metropolitan areas in various parts of the country which
  will serve to hold the bulk of the population. We must also plan for a highly
  effective rural cluster eco-programme for both agricultural and pastoral communities."

Those evicted from the Mau should be resettled in a new settlement providing all the necessary amenities.  They can then be employed to replant the trees while the government in association with the private sector creates new employment opportunities that would absorb them after completion of the afforestation exercise and also their children as they come of age.

I asked a friend who plants maize in the region and she tells me that they make a net profit of 100,000/- per year from a 14 acre farm.  This equates to about 9,000/- per month, so someone with 5 acres can only make 3,500/- per month from maize.  If the government hired them at a salary of 10,000/- and provided a mortgage scheme for the houses we can resolve this issue while also making strides towards 2030.

There are 1,500 people which translates to about 400 families, all can be accommodated on a 10 acre plot in 3 bedroom flats.  The construction of this units using precast concrete structures would take less than 12 months and would cost 1 billion including all amenities.

Lets urbanize as the President is advocating and stop sending people back to rural settings that are unsustainable.

Regards

Robert Yawe

KAY System Technologies Ltd

Phoenix House, 6th Floor