[kictanet] Question on ICT/BPO Park

Agosta Liko agostal at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 09:16:02 EAT 2009

My views ....

As a small BPO operator { www.verviant.com }for the last 3 years, I think
this is not the best use for any public funds for now {where now is 4-6
years} ... here are my reasons

a. Lack of working capital is one of the biggest reasons BPO's in this
country have failed, we{operators} used to complain about internet prices
but truth is if you look at providers... the ability to just pay workers is
the single biggest challenge

To this, the single biggest beef about the BPO sector in the working Kenyans
mind is that we dont pay on time {ever}

As a provider, I know clients may delay payments, middle men may ran away
etc etc ... but this stuff kills you and in a society that is primarily
driven by Asset based lending .... you are stuck

as a provider, there are times when billables out there are pretty hefty but
clients has not paid ... to an employee or consultant, its another story

b. We have really sucked at marketing... either as Kenya or as providers ...
now, the bigger providers may have made breakthrus in this area but then we
have collectivelly failed to market Kenya ... Our industry organisations
have also failed to make a 1-1 connection between providers and clients ...
this in my view could be the single biggest driver of success in the sector

My thinking is instead of going off to 60 KM's outside Nairobi and building
a park that may not fill in the next 5 years, why dont we solve the 2
problems above and then take it from there.

------------------

I am not for the idea of making employees travel another 60KM's to work.

The 6 lane highways may come, South Africa may be doing it... but how many
seats do we have right now compared to Malaysia, Egypt, Philipines, South
Africa and Brazil

In my original post, I asked whether this was a government idea or an
industry idea .. I would love to learn more ... maybe I just dont have the
right info

Dr Ndemo, Gilda ... you all are leaders in this sector, what am asking for
is just some honest reflection or conversation about how we can make things
work. We all know of very many failed BPOs ... is this the silver bullet ?

Providers on the list, BPO Employees ... any views ?