[kictanet] .ke domain costs too high......and "what is the problem with dotKE domain?

alice alice at apc.org
Thu Dec 3 21:35:08 EAT 2009

On ccTLD's found this from Wanjiku's blog posted in November
best
alice

---------------------------------------
http://wanjiku.co.ke/

  What is the real problem with .ke domain?
  <http://wanjiku.co.ke/eng/articles/main/imz1258362470/>

(If you don't have background information on domains, start with the
other posts below)

The debate over the uptake of .ke domains has been going on for a while
and has been dominated by the issue of cost. Yes the domain is
expensive; 3,000 Kenya shillings per year ($40) is expensive compared to
$10 for a .com, .net .info etc.

But is the cost the real issue? Are there other problems within .ke and
management at KENIC that make it hard for people to take up .ke? Is
Kenic's marketing structure flawed in as far as promoting the uptake of
domains is concerned? (Read about Paul in a separate post on why PS
Ndemo should convert his soldiers first).

My questions may look obvious but it is hard for me to believe that Paul
Kukubo, CEO of Kenya ICT Board, maintains a .com because he can not
afford 3k per year, Moses Kemibaro sits on the Kenic board and operates
a .com.

I was shocked when he told me that he sits on the Kenic board; my visits
to Kenic site are more for the WHOIS data and news. I was shocked
because sitting on the board means that you are for the idea of
marketing .ke.

How then do you market .ke when you maintain and drum up support for a
.com? I recall a huge row some years back when a young man in the US
turned up for a Coke job interview or something like that, wearing a
Pepsi labeled shirt and he was turned away. It may be the wrong
comparison but how do you sit on the board of an organization whose
"goods" you don't support.

I am sure Kemibaro is not the only board member who operates another
domain other than .ke but that amounts to double speak. I am sure we
have heard of politicians complaining about our education system and how
it makes kids this and that but their kids go to the international
schools which don't have the same problems with our schools.

So, the next time you complain about politicians and their perfect act
of doublespeak, remember they are not the only ones; there are others
who can do it better.

I know its easier to defend this and say people have liberty to buy
whatever domains they like and according to their interests and that is
ok; but how do you convince me to buy something you are not convinced
about?

If the real issue is cost and Kemibaro and Kukubo can not raise 3k per
year for a domain, then the guys at Kenic board should change their
marketing structure. If selling through registrars is hindering the
uptake because Kenic can not sell directly, then let it be that people
can buy directly from Kenic, which will force registrars to focus more
on the Value Added Services instead of domains as source of profits.

I have never understood the Kenic logic; Kenic has 11,000 or so domains,
if they sell at Ksh. 2,300 thats 25.3 million per year and if 10 million
goes to registrars, then Kenic remains with 13 million for its annual
operations.

The rate of internet users in Kenya is growing and I think the numbers
have grown from the projected 3 million users two years ago. This is
also likely to drive up awareness on websites and domains.

Assuming Kenic decides to sell to consumers directly or conduct a
campaign with registrars to sell the domain at Ksh 150 ($) and allow
registrars to make money building websites and hosting? Assuming out of
the more than 3 million users, we can convince 1 million with other
domains and others who don't have to buy a .ke, that would be Ksh. 150
million, which is more than what Kenic is making right now.

I know this sounds like a long shot but its doable. South Africa (.za)
has more than a million domains .co.za has more than 600,000 domains and
the others in education sector are growing by day. (Will look for actual
stats from SA; will ask for someone to comment).

Back to the issue of .ke, i recall two weeks ago when i was in Seoul for
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numebrs meeting (ICANN), I
met Sammy Buruchara, Kenic board chair and as you can read, I discussed
issues about what affects Kenic and whether the cost is the real issue.

According to Sammy, cost is not the real issue; consumers are willing to
pay more but the techies who sell the domains make cost an issue so that
they can make more money and he had a point.

Look at Kemibaro, he has his company that does web development among
other things. If you walk to his offices and you want to buy a .ke but
you are feeling the overall cost is going to be so much, he is likely to
tell you; this domain is so expensive, look at me, I operate a .com and
its cheaper.

Maybe Kemibaro will say that he bought the domain ages ago and that is
his brand, which is true but there is something they call redirecting to
another page, which I think does not affect the original brand.

Maybe am harping on Kemibaro's case and I should just let it go, but I
thought its better to just use his example because he is famous :) but
the point is the same if it was someone else.

Recently, my contact at Google made a comment that made more sense than
anything else that day. I was writing about Kenya's drive towards local
content and the source argued that most of Africa's domain registries
view themselves as businesses instead of public service. In this
respect, the source felt that domains should cost a dollar or two.

The argument was that if we are searching for content in Kenya, then the
pages with .ke appear first on the page. So, if you were searching about
registrars in Kenya, the ones who have .ke websites are likely to come
first, though that depends on other tech factors, like there was a time
one of my pages was not appearing on google and the techie was giving me
a long story but he had not done it right.

So, buying a .ke has its advantages in the search but am sure you will
find other posts on why you should buy domains useful.

Ends

by rebecca <http://www.maneno.org//eng/member/rebecca/>
*Countries:* KENYA <http://wanjiku.co.ke/eng/articles/main/country/kenya/>

  Why Ndemo needs to convert his soldiers first
  <http://wanjiku.co.ke/eng/articles/main/iqa1258362387/>

Comments: 0 <http://wanjiku.co.ke/eng/articles/main/iqa1258362387/#comments>
Available in: English
<http://wanjiku.co.ke/eng/articles/main/iqa1258362387/>

Dr. Bitange Ndemo, Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Information
and Communication has a very huge task of convincing Kenyans that the
country's technology sector can be as good as the west, that we do not
need to look further for exceptional services.

The PS has a Jambo.co.ke account that works, not like other officials
that use yahoo, he responds to questions sent via email, and
participates in technology forums for the youth and talks to them as a
lecturer, not a technocrat.

But the PS has one problem, he is busy preaching technology to others
and has forgotten to convert his soldiers, the people working under him.

The PS has been keen on the issue of virtual national resources and why
Kenyans need to take up their online rights. one of the resources is the
dot ke domain. It is the equivalent of a flag on the internet, alerts
people of your nationality or where you operate the services. For
instance, www.capitalfm.co.ke shows that Capital is Kenyan, though it is
addressing a global audience online.

Some countries like the United Kingdom have managed to convince most
corporations to take up dot uk. There are 6 million dot uk domains while
Kenya has a paltry 9,000 registered dot ke users.

That is the reason why Ndemo is working hard to promote the uptake of
dot ke in every sector.

The PS has been quoted saying that the government is ready to subsidize
the acquisition of .ac.ke and .sc.ke accounts for academic institutions
if the cost of the domains is reduced.

The PS has gone further to encourage Kenyans to buy the dot ke domain in
order to build Kenya.

But Ndemo's message on the dot ke domain is fatally defective because he
is yet to convert those under him who are still operating dot com
accounts. Let the PS and his officers demonstrate the faith they have in
these resources before converting the public.

For instance, Paul Kukubo, CEO Kenya ICT Board, who is supposed to be
Ndemo's interpreter of the technology gospel operates www.paulkukubo.com
while Al Kags, a program officer at the board operates www.alkags.com.

Picture this; Ndemo at a public meeting, telling people the essence of
buying local domains and promoting local businesses, and Kukubo takes
the stand and convinces you that a dot ke is as good as a dot com.

The question is: why is he not using it?

Last month, the Kenya ICT board held a one day meeting on local content,
dubbed "Tandaa".

The meeting brought together the government, ICT technology experts and
the public to discuss issues of generating local content and developing
the local technology capacity.

Few days before the meeting kicked off, there were questions raised
about the ICT board's decision to host the www.tandaa.com content
abroad. How can the board encourage people to host locally while it has
no faith in local hosting services?

Kukubo defended the decision, saying that if any local host was willing
to give free hosting, the board was willing to migrate the site to a
local server. He further argued that to develop locally, you do not need
to host locally, arguing that even the laptops and email applications we
use are manufactured elsewhere.

The defense merely philosophical as it sounds, does not address the root
of the issue.

How does a board, tasked with marketing Kenya as a technology
destination, opt to host abroad? Why then do we have the board if not to
demonstrate Kenya's ability to perform like other countries?

How can the board convince a local or multinational corporation to host
locally while it has no faith in such services or does not see the need
to encourage people to host locally?

Even if the board was hosted free, it should be its primary mandate to
insist that any hosting must be local, that is the only way services can
improve. Not unless the board expects the hosting services to grow
overnight without being tried and tested.

In the US, where hosting services are cheap, people started with trial
and error and finally they perfected the services. When will Kenya grow
if no one wants to give local techies business?

It has been argued that the techies have to prove their ability before
Kenyans can have faith that services are consistent and stable. But who
will give them the chance to prove themselves if the ICT marketing
agency is shipping services abroad.

The messages are contradictory and it is better if the PS ensured that
the whole ministry and all attendant agencies are sing from the same
hymn book or reading from the same script.

Charity begins at home!

Ends

by rebecca <http://www.maneno.org//eng/member/rebecca/>
*Countries:* KENYA <http://wanjiku.co.ke/eng/articles/main/country/kenya/>
*Tags:* africa <http://wanjiku.co.ke/eng/articles/main/tags/africa/>,
domains <http://wanjiku.co.ke/eng/articles/main/tags/domains/>, kenya
<http://wanjiku.co.ke/eng/articles/main/tags/kenya/>

  Knowing More about Domains
  <http://wanjiku.co.ke/eng/articles/main/qpd1258362311/>

Comments: 0 <http://wanjiku.co.ke/eng/articles/main/qpd1258362311/#comments>
Available in: English
<http://wanjiku.co.ke/eng/articles/main/qpd1258362311/>

Background on domains...... I wrote this article earlier this year.....

A domain name is a label separated by a dot, which allows internet users
to easily find and communicate with web sites and other Internet
Protocol (IP) based communication services.

A domain can use first level extensions e.g. country code Top level
Domain (ccTLD) like .ke for Kenya or a generic TLD (.com, .net, .info
.org etc).

Domain names are a superb marketing tool, a method to pass information
about the business or service being offered. A domain name is a highly
valuable resource for any company. Internet domain names are registered
on a first-come, first-served basis by registering authorities, such as
Kenya Network Information Centre, which administers the .ke name space.

Domain names have become more interesting to marketers because of their
advertising and marketing potential, rather than just being used to
label internet resources; they are now used in ways that are harmful to
some businesses.

For instance, one can register www.moral.co.ke as a pornographic site,
which would be contradictory to the known meaning of the word moral.
Similarly, one can use a name that is more famous as a domain to drive
visitors to the site.

As a result, large corporations use their trademark or brand name as a
domain name because it helps customers remember it easily and
distinguish it from a competitor’s product, which reinforces brand
identity.

Because domain names are registered on the basis of first come, first
served, registering authorities do not question whether a proposed
domain name will cause likely confusion with another’s brand or
trademark. For instance, Verizon, a large international technology
corporation revealed that it spends up to 77 million Kenya shillings
($1million) in registering and safeguarding their domain.

This has allowed some unscrupulous people to take advantage of the
ignorance and to register domains that are not related to them and drive
up traffic in the process infringing on trademarks, trade names, brands
or copyrighted characteristics of a company.

Some of the domains are registered with the intention of later selling
them or transferring the domain name to another owner for valuable
consideration; or simply to engage in unfair competition and misleading
advertising by associating their own product or service with a
better-known brand.

What would happen if someone registered a domain in the name of your
business, then five years from now, the business is a large entity but
unable to trade online in its trademark because it is owned by another
person?

This would result in a domain name dispute which would be a big concern
for a business. It is just like a trade mark that is protected under the
Copyright Act of Kenya. Domain name disputes nevertheless remain complex
and require separate regulations.

For instance, popular online auction site EBay is engaged in a
protracted legal tussle trying to reclaim www.ebay.com.vn , which is
registered by an individual.

Jennifer Lopez has also filed a dispute at the World Intellectual
Property Organization (WIPO) seeking to get back www.jenniferlopez.org
from one of her fans.

South Africa is perhaps one of the leading cases where the government
had to result to international measures to get back www.southafrica.com
which was registered under an individual.

Under Article 30 of the Law on Intellectual Property, which took effect
on July 1, 2006, such acts as registering or possessing the right to use
a domain name identical or confusingly similar to a protected trade name
or mark of another, for the purpose of benefiting from or prejudicing
the reputation and popularity of the respective trademark, trade name or
geographical indicator is viewed as an act of unfair competition.

Ends...