[kictanet] My Take: Affordable computers-remember eMaddo?

David Otwoma otwomad at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 10:30:56 EAT 2009

Walu,

In most countries where the gap between Industry and Academia has been
successfully bridged the government acted as the third arm (triple helix
model) that ensured success. In Western Europe and Northern America, the
governments ensured the laws favoured investors (both local and third world
despots who stash funds there) while in the newly Industrializing tigers the
governments chipped in decisively (plus the West invested heavily to
discourage South Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan etc. going communist) and of
course China did open some parts to practice market (read
capitalism) economics but with the government guarding the incubatees
against the accomplished Western firms (something difficult in our part of
the world due to being easily arm twisted and off course the 'willing' to
play 'ball' aka negative patriotism) . Sadly for Africa we are told to have
good governance without marching funds! Hence we need to (find a way
to)encourage our local moneyed guys, to invest locally as it appears no
funds will come from without.

Enjoy your week.

David