[kictanet] My Take: Affordable computers

Leonard Mware mleonardo at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 29 09:17:12 EAT 2009

Used cars? Used computers? Used clothes? Why are they there? Affordability? Need?

Japanese used cars shine on Kenyan roads though they maybe 7 years old.

Back to the discussion, when Bill donates his old computer from his office to someone else, the issue is still the same - he is trying to extend the use of the computer as much as possible which is a good thing to do. But it is important to think the subsequent end of life and how the computer will be disposed. e-waste.

As for Moore's Law, it may be a prediction (not scientific) trying to explain growth of chip density but how can it explain the P1 and P2 still in use in some Kenyan schools?

Whether used or new we face the one problem: at the end of life of these computers, fridges, TVs, radios, Mobile phones, what happens? There is need to for effective legislation on e-waste to take care of our locally generated e-waste and the one’s we imagine as dumping.

A good example of e-waste challenge is India where only 28.3%of the total waste generated in 2007 was available for recycling. A recent study by "Indian Waste Management Services Market" (Frost and Sullivan, 2008) estimates the Indian E-waste management market for 2008 to be INR 510 million (about Kenya shillings 710 Million). It is also said in India that a vast majority of recycler are not registered meaning the amount involved could be much higher.

KICTANET did a survey courtesy Muriithi, Waema et al that indicated we generate roughly 3,000 tonnes of our own e-waste. The question we should be asking is where does this go?
Kenya needs to be more engaged through legislations and internalize Basel Convention on Trans-boundary Movement of Hazardous Waste. Waste of electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) legislation would ensure that there is no dumping of worthless computers and electrical equipment.

So my view is that we need to not close the door on used computers but should ensure there is no dumping through legislation and at same time ensure that the minimum specifications of computers we receive are high. To this end Computer Aid has done a good job.

Leonard