[kictanet] Internet Governance

John K. Njoroge kabogojn at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 07:53:10 EAT 2009

Dear Jane:

McTim has said it well -- Internet Governance (IG) is about all the things
you mentioned and more. While looking at IG, we need focus and discuss on
all issues, actors and divides. From Infrastructure and Standardization, to
Legal issues, Economic issues, Development issues, Socio-Cultural issues and
more. Certainly, the Internet touches just about every aspect of human life.
And when we have good Internet Governance, we will all (globally) share the
Internet with knowledge and understanding and, indeed, everyone shall easily
enjoy its fruits and benefits.

Go to http://www.eaigf.or.ke/registration.html, to register for East AFrica
IGF.

Have a good and a blessed week ahead.

Kind regards

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 6:54 AM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> HI,
>
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 10:26 PM, Jane Kagiri<kagirijane at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hallo,
> > Please help me understand,when we discuss Internet Policy making in the
> > context of Internet Governance what are we exactly refering to?
> > Is it governance on domain names,intelectual property rights,root server
> > management,internet security,spam or is it all the above.
>

> D) All of the above (and more).
>
> IG used to have a more narrow definition, that of coordination of
> resources and standards essential to the operation of the net.  WSIS
> processes however resulted in a much broader definition, to wit:
>
> "Internet governance is the development and application by
> governments, the private sector, and civil society, in their
> respective roles, of shared principles, norms, rules, decision-making
> procedures, and programmes that shape the evolution and use of the
> Internet. "
>
> So basically anything and everything can be called IG.
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim

John K. Njoroge