[kictanet] Internet Governance

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 06:54:05 EAT 2009

HI,

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 10:26 PM, Jane Kagiri<kagirijane at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hallo,
> Please help me understand,when we discuss Internet Policy making in the
> context of Internet Governance what are we exactly refering to?
> Is it governance on domain names,intelectual property rights,root server
> management,internet security,spam or is it all the above.

D) All of the above (and more).

IG used to have a more narrow definition, that of coordination of
resources and standards essential to the operation of the net.  WSIS
processes however resulted in a much broader definition, to wit:

"Internet governance is the development and application by
governments, the private sector, and civil society, in their
respective roles, of shared principles, norms, rules, decision-making
procedures, and programmes that shape the evolution and use of the
Internet. "

So basically anything and everything can be called IG.

--
Cheers,

McTim