[kictanet] My Take: Affordable computers-remember eMaddo?

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 13:48:02 EAT 2009

Walu, there was a high profile National ICT exhibtion / week  two years ago
hosted by ICT Village.com i remember meeting an old Lady who had come all
the way from Vihiga as we walked around with her and passed by the e-maddo
stand, we inquired about the cost and she really complained bitterly (It was
around 40 K) if i wasnt wrong, she felt this was exploitative (haki yetu), i
am not sure how e-maddo was received by the market, from what you are saying
Walu it appears to be another "Nyayo pioneer" sort of project, am told that
in chinese the same character is used for opportunities and challenges,
within some some of this failed projects there lies an opportunity to do
better, why for instance would Kenyans prefer brands over locally assmbled
machines?, Prof Waema talked of TCO, the lady i met complained about the
cost vis avis that of refurbs, something to ponder about
Lakini bado Najivunia kuwa Mkenya, in fact am a member :-)