[kictanet] My Take: Affordable computers

Bildad Kagai billkagai at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 08:59:28 EAT 2009

The problem with 'computer donations' is akin to Mau. It starts with
small piles of 'decommissioned' monitors and CPUs in one classroom
until you pro rata how many schools in Kenya have these rooms with
dumped computers. We better deal with it now before its too late.

I do not see any problem with supporting large, rich, local or foreign
computer vendors. That is the nature of capitalism but you sound like
you are opposed to untrammeled workings of the economic market. You
probably need a constitutional amendment to augment this logic.

If your actions and business in any way support making Kenya a green
economy then, that is the best gift we can give to our children for
posterity. WE have messed the economy, tribalised ourselves and
cannibalized the wetlands. Can we at least not add the headache of
dealing with dumped e-waste we received as donations??

I don't know why you have put me in this foul mood!!!!