[kictanet] the long fibre lie...Regulatory Action limited.

Wainaina Mungai wainaina at madeinkenya.org
Wed Aug 26 16:00:20 EAT 2009

>From the recent discussions on TEAMS&SEACOM, my advice to IT Managers and
domestic CTOs ;-) out there would be...."*Do not sign any new binding deals
with ISPs until January 2010"*. I'm taking into account all the caution
expressed by Dr. Ndemo and TEAMS investors such as MJ & Brian. It's also
after fielding several sweet-nothings from the ISPs courting me ;-)
 ...ignore the roses and candy for now and look at the whole package.

1. Do not select an ISP based on pricing only. There's a whole service
component you need to consider...longterm.

2. From the look of things, some ISPs might just shut down by January ;-)
...some have undisclosed illnesses that might turn fatal to their businesses
by 2010 - thanks to TEAMS & SEACOM - ...so do your research beyond the
standard powerpoint presentation by those brilliant and lovely looking sales
ladies.

3. Squeeze all you can from a good ISP before you move on. That's assuming
your current ISP is good at customer support & their techies can recite the
contents of the SLA ;-)

Did I leave out anything? ;-)

Wainaina

--