[kictanet] [Skunkworks] the long fibre lie...Regulatory Action limited.

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 11:08:04 EAT 2009

Hi all,

Fortunately Bill has a memory like an elephant, he never forgets anything!
LoL

Nevertheless - I still stand by my earlier statements. The price at which
TEAMS shareholders will offer bandwidth to the marketplace once they have
their end-to-end connectivity in place will be much lower than that of
SEACOM.

But back to the matter of bandwidth pricing and whether it was all a big lie
about prices to consumers coming down... Methinks that we are very impatient
if we expect pricing across the board to have dropped within less than a
month of 1 cable system having only 2 operators carrying bandwidth.

I would probably set the time when the price wars kick in with earnest at
somewhere around mid-January or even as early as November - if individual
TEAMs shareholders integration moves with speed.

Bill, since SEACOM delivered bandwidth to the marketplace - despite landing
*after* TEAMs - I will definitely uphold my offer of Kalovo. Will call you
to set the date and venue <grin>

Regards,

Brian

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Bildad Kagai <billkagai at gmail.com> wrote:

> Walu,
> Placing this extract in the context of this discussion and your report on e-Governance
> we discussed 4 months ago...pg. 17....you forgot to include a fundamental
> issue.
>

> *Bill Kagai** doubted Brian's statement about the TEAMS project being
> “developmental” *
> *rather than “profit” oriented.  In his rejoinder **Brain Longwe** said
> that there were a *
> *number of different ways to go about major infrastructure development: *
>
> *
> *
> *1.** **For-Profit: Putting together a business case with a clear
> Return-On-Investment *
> *(ROI) benefit; looking out for funding, then building and deploying.
> Hopefully *
> *the market would respond well and the investors get their return (e.g.
> SEACOM). *
> *2.** **Means-to-an-end: Determine the total costs for the project,
> approach the primary *
> *stakeholders; Oil companies in the case of oil pipelines, gas companies
> in the case *
> *of gas companies, operators and ISPs in the case of bandwidth; sell them
> the *
> *concept of delivering the commodity to themselves at cost (or as near to
> cost as *
> *possible); set up an "Operations and Maintenance" structure which levies
> the *
> *same parties; build and deploy; once the bandwidth is delivered it's a
> "free-for-all" *
> *in the marketplace - with ‘costs’ at a very low level, prices would
> eventually *
> *follow due to competition (e.g. TEAMs and EASSY) *
>
> *
> *
> *He said this is was one of the main reasons why projects such as TEAMs
> and EASSY *
> *have faced stiff opposition, criticism and outright attempted sabotage –
> because they have *
> *the potential to cut the feet out from under any similar commercial
> venture. *
>
> *
> *
> *In response **Bill Kagai** stated the following *
>
> *
> *
> *1.** **For Profit - Seacom -This sounded like a brilliant business and
> economic model. *
> *2.** **Means-to-an-end - TEAMS:  Referencing his university economics
> this option *
> *appeared as the only economic model they did not teach at the University
> of *
> *Nairobi an institution established by an Act of Parliament. *
>
> *
> *
> *In summary, he felt that TEAMs had already waged a price war with no
> products in the *
> [...]

Brian Munyao Longwe
e-mail: blongwe at gmail.com
cell:  + 254 722 518 744