[kictanet] the long fibre lie...Regulatory Action limited.

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 17 08:40:42 EAT 2009

Alex,

Your have rightly qaulified your solution - as simple.  Indeed it is. Infact too simplistic to fly.  The idea that the Regulator can reign in Operators who charge "high" internet rates cannot and will not work.  Think about the in-famous SAT3 fiber link on the west coast of africa.  Ask yourself why the Regulators in Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon, Angola, S-Africa etc have never  stepped in and revoked licensces of operators over the last 15yrs of high internet costs offered on the fiber...

The answers are very complex...I will actually be discussing these limitations and available interventions in some upcoming ICT conference at Strath University in Sept 09 and I dont want to pre-empt ;-)....

walu.