[kictanet] IG Discussions- Day 2 of 10: Infrastructure Issues-Submarine Cables

mwende njiraini mwende.njiraini at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 15:09:28 EAT 2009

**

Hi

I have the following comments on:

*Content*

I disagree with the statement that “digital content should be independent of
infrastructure”.  Without the availability of reliable connectivity it would
be impossible to deliver the content to the intended recipients.  If for
example the health fraternity would wish to implement telemedicine,
digitizing the content is the 1st stage while delivering the content over a
reliable broadband network is the 2nd stage.  Am sure none of us would want
to misdiagnosed on the basis of an image for delivery that has acquired
errors in transmission.

*Quality*

Broadband quality is highly subjective and dependent one’s internet usage
patterns, for example those interested in audio or video streaming would
demand higher quality.  Network operators may employ bandwidth/traffic
management techniques to meet user demand.

This has resulted in the debate of network neutrality; in the US for
example, the network neutrality is one of the most contentious debates on
the telecommunications policy.  This debate has ensued as Internet firms
such as Google, Yahoo and eBay on one hand seek to have non-discriminatory
access to network infrastructure written in to law and regulation.  On the
other hand telecommunication and cable network operators such as AT&T,
Verzion and Bell South perceiving Internet firms as ‘freeloaders’, accruing
profits at their expense, are seeking to have legislation established that
would let them charge additional fees for use of their networks.

Network neutrality may not be of concern to us at the moment as we focus on
facilitating universal broadband on an open access.  However this may change
as network operators see their ‘hard earned’ broadband connectivity ‘chewed’
up by applications that they themselves do not offer.