[kictanet] Nyama Choma na pombe

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Thu Apr 23 08:33:29 EAT 2009

Congratulations! Go and do all that appertains. Let me know about
the where and when of the nyama choma.
Waudo
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 23:21 -0500, "warigia bowman"
<warigia at gmail.com> wrote:

  Hi ICT activists!
  Just want to let you know that yesterday I had a successful
  dissertation defense, and I became Daktari Warigia, earning my
  doctorate of philosophy in public policy from Harvard's
  Kennedy School of Government. My heartfelt thanks to KICTANet
  and KIF, in particular, for helping me get this far. I am
  grateful. Shukrani. Here is the footnote I included in the
  dissertation to thankall of you. Please let me know if you
  name is not in here,and you want it in or if you see
  misspellings or if you want to see the current Kenya chapter.
  Please email me OFFLINE, (so as not to spam the list) at
  [1]warigia at gmail.com. The dissertation will be submitted for
  binding by May 15th, so email me quickly. Next step,
  publication . . .
  Would like to treat all of you who helped me to nyama choma
  and beer. So lets arrange. I will be in Kenya from June
  through August!
  Hugs and Thanks! Rigia

  The material in this section is based on sixty-five
  qualitative semi-structured interviews conducted from
  2004-2006 in Kenya. Additional interviews were conducted in
  Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda. I also conducted participant
  observation, and sat in on dozens of meetings of the
  organizations KIF and KICTAnet as well as several national and
  transnational conferences on ICT. I conducted interviews in
  Kenya with former members of parliament, high ranking
  government officials, academics, private sector participants,
  and civil society advocates.  I take responsibility for all
  content and interpretations. No individual named below can be
  held responsible for any insights or conclusions made in this
  article. All errors are my own. Several interviewees requested
  anonymity. Nonetheless, the sample below of those who allowed
  their names to be used gives a sense of the scope and depth of
  the interviews conducted. Several individuals deserve special
  thanks, including Juma Okech, the Secretary of E-Government,
  Bitange Ndemo, the Permanent Secretary for Information and
  Communications, Marcel Werner, the Secretary of the Kenya
  Information and Communications Technology Federation, Alice
  Munyua, the Kenyan representative of APC, and CCK Board
  Member, Amos Opiyo of the Ministry of Planning,  Dr. Eric
  Aligula of the Kenya Institute of Public Policy Research and
  Analysis, Henry Belsoi of Telkom Kenya, Jonathan Campaigne,
  Director of Pride Africa, Kevit Desai, the President of Kenya
  IEEE, Mike Eldon, CEO of Symphony Software, James Gachui,
  Founder of Wananchi Online, Dr. Kathryn Getau, Computer
  Science Faculty of the University of Nairobi, Dr. Tim Waema,
  Computer Science faculty of the University of Nairobi, Wallace
  Gichoho of  Call Center Africa, Mirjana Ilic of UNESCO,
  Michael Katundu, Communications Commission of Kenya, Joseph
  Kiplagat, Computer Science Faculty, Moi University, Brian
  Longwe of AFRISPA, Charles Nduati of Kenyatta University, Dr.
  Florence Etta, formerly of IDRC, Edith Adera of IDRC, as well
  as various staff members, directors and participants from the
  Computer Society of Kenya, KICTAnet, the Directorate of
  E-Government, the National Communications Secretariat,  Kenya
  Pipeline Company,  and many other organizations.
  --
  Warigia Bowman
  Assistant Professor
  EMAIL: [3]mwbowman at olemiss.edu