[kictanet] Nyama Choma na pombe

warigia bowman warigia at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 07:21:12 EAT 2009

Hi ICT activists!

Just want to let you know that yesterday I had a successful dissertation
defense, and I became Daktari Warigia, earning my doctorate of philosophy in
public policy from Harvard's Kennedy School of Government. My heartfelt
thanks to KICTANet and KIF, in particular, for helping me get this far. I am
grateful. Shukrani. Here is the footnote I included in the dissertation to
thankall of you. Please let me know if you name is not in here,and you want
it in or if you see misspellings or if you want to see the current Kenya
chapter. Please email me OFFLINE, (so as not to spam the list) at
warigia at gmail.com. The dissertation will be submitted for binding by May
15th, so email me quickly. Next step, publication . . .

Would like to treat all of you who helped me to nyama choma and beer. So
lets arrange. I will be in Kenya from June through August!

Hugs and Thanks! Rigia

The material in this section is based on sixty-five qualitative
semi-structured interviews conducted from 2004-2006 in Kenya. Additional
interviews were conducted in Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda. I also conducted
participant observation, and sat in on dozens of meetings of the
organizations KIF and KICTAnet as well as several national and transnational
conferences on ICT. I conducted interviews in Kenya with former members of
parliament, high ranking government officials, academics, private sector
participants, and civil society advocates.  I take responsibility for all
content and interpretations. No individual named below can be held
responsible for any insights or conclusions made in this article. All errors
are my own. Several interviewees requested anonymity. Nonetheless, the
sample below of those who allowed their names to be used gives a sense of
the scope and depth of the interviews conducted. Several individuals deserve
special thanks, including Juma Okech, the Secretary of E-Government, Bitange
Ndemo, the Permanent Secretary for Information and Communications, Marcel
Werner, the Secretary of the Kenya Information and Communications Technology
Federation, Alice Munyua, the Kenyan representative of APC, and CCK Board
Member, Amos Opiyo of the Ministry of Planning,  Dr. Eric Aligula of the
Kenya Institute of Public Policy Research and Analysis, Henry Belsoi of
Telkom Kenya, Jonathan Campaigne, Director of Pride Africa, Kevit Desai, the
President of Kenya IEEE, Mike Eldon, CEO of Symphony Software, James Gachui,
Founder of Wananchi Online, Dr. Kathryn Getau, Computer Science Faculty of
the University of Nairobi, Dr. Tim Waema, Computer Science faculty of the
University of Nairobi, Wallace Gichoho of  Call Center Africa, Mirjana Ilic
of UNESCO, Michael Katundu, Communications Commission of Kenya, Joseph
Kiplagat, Computer Science Faculty, Moi University, Brian Longwe of AFRISPA,
Charles Nduati of Kenyatta University, Dr. Florence Etta, formerly of IDRC,
Edith Adera of IDRC, as well as various staff members, directors and
participants from the Computer Society of Kenya, KICTAnet, the Directorate
of E-Government, the National Communications Secretariat,  Kenya Pipeline
Company,  and many other organizations.

--
Warigia Bowman
Assistant Professor