[kictanet] Safcom Mobile Internet Charging Model

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 8 12:33:14 EAT 2009

I am seeking to understand the above.  I bought the safcom modem during their promotion in Feb09 @ 3000Ksh (free modem(had to be ;-) and access worth 3000Ksh for I think 1G of data.)

After consuming less than 50% of the 1G (I use it mainly on weekends), the access was disabled and on enquiry i was informed that the 1G access was timed to be consumed within the 1mnth (4weeks). However, I was assured that the balance of access would be availed in my next purchase...

I then opted to purchase the Ksh 2000 access (700Mb), given that I didnt manage to consume the previous 1G and hence saw no need to purchase the same.  Furthermore, I expected current access volumes to be consolidated with the previous balance...

But before I could consume 50% of the above 700MB, my 4weeks were over and access disabled.  I have now purchased Ksh 1000 access (300MB) and from the trend you can predict that my access will be disabled before I consume it...

Several questions arise:
1.  How do I confirm that my balance of access is truly being forward and not "disappearing".
2.  Is this the same charging model @ Zain, Orange?
3.  Would post-paid be a better deal for me?
4.  Why should Data-access be so restrictive (4wks) as compared to voice (which gives us almost 12wks grace period)

walu.