[kictanet] [Skunkworks] Fwd: KRA has gone online...but!

wesley kiriinya kiriinya2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 6 09:12:47 EAT 2009

Does anyone who needs to file tax online (or do something important on the KRA website) need to go to that URL? If so then it seems KRA has taken 2 steps forward and 1.5 steps backwards.

KRA may insist that people file taxes online and since not filing them is illegal then one has to go online, but ALAS! you need to buy Windows so that you can run IE. So one either endures long qeues or buys Windows else you land in jail. (Mathematically ones chances of going to jail because of taxes have increased since one must avoid using pirated Windows O_O)

I for one would like to know what feature of this Simba system ties it to IE (and probably forces any Kenyan who wants to file taxes online to buy Windows). No problem if Windows has a technology that no other OS has. If that's not the case then supporting open systems that can be purchased, maintained, used and extended (especially for government institutions that provide public (tax-paid) services) at a reasonable price is a wiser decision.

X_X?