[kictanet] ICT Legislation In Kenya: Mukimwo or Buffet?

Gakuru Alex alexgakuru.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 21:55:33 EAT 2008

Brian,

I did not know about the Mombasa congregation? Hushed top-secret on a
need-to-know basis?

Jokes aside,
I downloaded and read ICT Bill 2008 at
<http://www.information.go.ke/docs/DRAFT%20ICT%20BILL%202008.pdf> and
was quite unhappy on consumer interests on the Bill, BUT I am
convinced that the proposed law is far much better that KCA 1998. Yes,
No?

How many Bills were passed by the 9th Parliament? And last last year?
>From 2003-2007?
How many of the stale Bills and new ones do we foresee passed by the
10th Parliament?
Lookup Parliament's Bills tracker <http://www.bunge.go.ke/bills_tracker.php>

Let's accept reality, a little indulging in the mathematics of
probability and statistics estimate the  chance of a Bill becoming law
before we could rightly or wrongly quickly mobilise activism to fault
*all* Bills. I hope new series of workshops on 'absent policy/legal
framework' hampering uptake of ICTs and e-commerce are NOT in the
horizon? History shows this cycle. Rather all burning *bad* issues on
the  Bill are is pointed out instead of wholesale condemnation? Ask
ourselves whether Kenya would be better or worse off without
'designer' set of laws?

Of course, we can all put forth our sharpest argumentative prowess to
shoot this law if we want, but bear in mind that when the others are
tabled, we shall start another round of arguments of what should not
be on those Bill but on ICT Bill.... the usual cyclic merry-go-round
case scenario while competitors take up vast ICT opportunities from
us.

Consider also 'Challenges for Tenth Parliament'
<http://www.bdafrica.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5283&Itemid=5848>

But if insist on your 'buffet' why taste just a little when could have
the full main course, for example,
Legislative Tracking Chart: 110th Congress
<http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/net0015c.pdf> ?

I say pass the law be passed, visibly loose bolts and nuts be
tightened by The Committee and when new Bills are introduced along the
way. Otherwise we risk forever remaining on policy and drafts stage
forever.

It's that simple!