[kictanet] ICT Legislation In Kenya: Mukimwo or Buffet?

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 20:18:32 EAT 2008

Hi all,

We at a workshop in Mombasa to look at the "Mukimwo" that has been
made in the form of the Communications Amendment Bill.

What is "mukimwo" some of you might ask? Also known as "Kienyeji" - it
is a mix of maize corn, potatoes, green leaves (mchicha?) and often a
variety of other things including meat, tomatoes, bananas, onions,
cabbage etc...the thoroughly mashed together.

Well, this - in my view - is kind of what we are looking at here. A
single bill which combines many different issues in an attempt to
satisfy the deep hunger in the ICT sector with one meal.

Well, some of us are of the opinion that it is better to have a buffet
of ICT legislation. Separate, discrete laws that deal to the necessary
depth with issues as diverse as cybercrime, computer misuse/fraud,
electronic transactions, digital signatures, privacy and personal
information etc.  Without trying to mash them all together as the
current draft does.

So my question is, do you prefer Mukimwo or Buffet?

Brian

Sent from my iPhone