[kictanet] [Skunkworks] Runway inflation?

Phares Kariuki pkariuki at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 16:29:02 EAT 2008

Hi,
Given that the thread seems to be closed, here are a couple of comments.

1. Kijiji, the reason the places around Nairobi are expanding is because
everyone moved to Nairobi. They city is expanding to accommodate all the
migrations.
2. It is possible for 30% of Africa to generate more than 70%. An MP earns
500,000 odd a month. That is 100 house helps in Nairobi's pay... So its a
reality..
3.Inflation is a big problem. Banks currently offer interest rates of 4%, so
if you leave your money in the bank you are losing tonnes of cash.
4. Kijiji has a point. It is said that the cure for high prices is high
prices. If a product is expensive enough, it's demand will fall as people
will look for alternatives...Global demand will fall once everyone starts
living green... Hybrid vehicles are on the increase, bio fuels, etc. At the
end of the day, these initiatives will reduce demand for crude globally. In
the 60's the same phenomenon was observed, with everyone making gas
guzzlers, a trend which died down in the 90's leading to our current
situation.

This has been one interesting thread....Thanks to everyone who contributed
to this...