[kictanet] [Skunkworks] Runway inflation?

Phares Kariuki pkariuki at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 10:34:51 EAT 2008

Hi,
I agree with you in the most part, just that there are a couple of issues
I've found.

ECONOMICS; An observation.

Economics observes what happens in economies. It does not come up with the
rules. The whole point of the study of economics is to better understand how
transactions etc function. Now, when I say that a farmer in Dundori is hurt
by low pricing, that is reality. His is a low value transaction. It is
unfortunate, but if 70% of the transactions (numerically) are low value,
then they can be financially worth less than the remaining 30%, which
accounts for more, financially. The problem then is how to get the Farmers
out of Farmland trading and into the mainstream market (given that if they
do that, they will increase competition, thereby reducing pricing, while
gaining more money in the same breath).

The policy is left to someone else.

I disagree with the thought that inflation causes rural to urban migration
to recede. Actually, it increases it. The problem is, the guy at Dundori is
so poor that the instant school fees and transport costs rise, he can no
longer afford to make ends meet, so he moves, He's hardest hit by inflation.
He suddenly can no longer afford to buy bread (which has risen, and his
income is still the same paltry amount). It's the same as migration to
foreign nations, once a comfortable life is easily accessible in Nairobi,
then Greencard applications will go down. The sad thing is people from the
citys/towns tend to portray and image of doing well, so the farmer figures
the fortune lies in Nairobi.

In economics, its said that prices are sticky downwards, meaning that an
upsurge in pricing is easy, but an adjustment downwards is almost
impossible. An example? Global crude prices have come down. Fuel stations
will keep the pump prices at that level, and unfortunately, the trend is to
maintain that as their new profit margin. The same can be said about the
matatu industry. Once they increase their fare, they have a new profit
margin, which they will not go below.

UNEMPLOYMENT

For a developing nation such as ours, studies show that a certain level of
unemployment (not the level we have though) is good for the nation, as it
keeps competition for jobs high, making labour cheap, and hence keeping our
goods more competitive globally, and it also spurs entrepreneurship, as
people  are now forced to start businesses when they cannot find jobs.

CAUSE OF INFLATION IN KENYA
Inasmuch as it is popular to blame the government, this particular situation
is  largely caused by government. It has made a series of misinformed policy
decisions which are to blame for the situation at hand.

1. Separation of Kengen & KPLC - This was a case of blindly copying what
happens in other nations without looking at our situation in particular.
This is normally done when the logistics of managing the two becomes too
difficult. Kenya is still a young nation, at most they should have created
two smaller entities, each mandated with a different objective, in line with
what Kengen did with Geothermal power generation. For example, having KPLC
(Mother Company), Kengen and Kenya Power Distributors Limited.

2.Lack of capacity building; Throwing money to fix the problem - When Kenya
first experienced power rationing, the government started buying diesel
generators and installed them at the now popular Kipevu Power Station. Now,
Kenya is one of the countries with the largest capacities for geothermal
energy in Africa, instead of tapping on this, the government spent money on
diesel generation. As a stop gap measure, this was OK, the problem is,
someone realised that this was a way to cover the capacity problems, to meet
the shortfall. That is why the projects to build new power stations take too
long. Now, the global price of petroleum has gone up, we have to pay more
for power, simply because it is becoming a larger percentage of our power
generation. This also increases diesel prices locally, as the demand has
increased. You will have noticed that diesel fuel has increased in price
more than standard Super/Regular, when looked at as a percentage.

3. Poor Transport Infrastructure & Taxes - Our road infrastructure is
dilapidated. This makes transport expensive, however, the tax regime makes
it too expensive. Now fuel is at European prices. Our rail infrastructure is
poor. Transporting milk/bread etc, will cost more for this simple reason.
When matatus increase the fare, this affects the ordinary mwananchi, who
most feels the pain. Women selling goods in markets have to pay more to get
their goods there, and will charge more, increasing cost of food. It is the
same on all basic goods that rely on transport. The handcarts/mkokotenis
realise increased demand, and will increase their pricing as well. This
price will not go down easily.

4. Listing of Kengen & KPLC. While a good decision financially speaking, as
the bearer of policy, the government flopped in this regard. Given that the
companies have been separated, each now has profit targets to meet. The
government had earlier subsidized cost on both Kengen & KPLC's part. Now,
had they not been listed, this would not have been a problem, as the
government would not need them to make profits, however, as things are,
being a listed company, if the stock price falls, the CEO loses his job, as
he has an angry AGM to contend with. Now, we have two companies, each with a
huge profit target to meet, and a government that can no longer afford
to subsidize power. Now the result is, with their new profit regimes neatly
tucked in their pockets, they increase the cost of power, thereby increasing
production of goods. So, the manufacturers raise their prices, the
transporters raise their prices, the farmer, having to contend with rising
prices, raises his prices. Leaving the citizens digging deeper into their
pockets.

Kijiji, we agree in principle, the difference is that you are not content
with the situation. The poverty Kenyans face is real. And I agree, more
SACCOs and other such groups should be created, to allow the farmers to
bargain for better pricing. Ill give an example, I was recently in Dundori
(hence the several inferences), where I saw an old grandmother feed one of
the healthiest and largest batch of cabbages Ive seen yet to her cows. Now,
I asked why? Well, the cabbage (which retails in NBI for 40-60 shillings, in
a market, the price increase, as I pointed out earlier, is due to transport
problems (15 odd km of dirt road + tonnes of middlemen) is bought from her
at 3 shillings a piece. She at least has a cooperative for milk, so they buy
the milk at 23 shillings a litre. She figures, the cows tend to produce
better milk when fed with cabbages, and they will rot, waiting for someone
to collect... And we complain about food shortages? Now, Kijiji, we cannot
say that 10 cabbages are worth 400 shillings. They have retailed at 3
shillings each, meaning that they are worth 30 shillings. That's the farmers
buying power.

Anyway, my two pence, as the tradition is, feel free to punch holes in my
argument...