[kictanet] CEO Africa Online dies in boating accident

Brian Munyao Longwe brian at caret.net
Mon Oct 27 09:48:45 EAT 2008

KICTANET extends their condolences to AfricaOnline, friends and
family of Mr. John Joseph.

Brian

---------------------------

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/-/1056/484266/-/tlhobo/-/

The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Africa Online has died.

John Joseph, who was appointed to the position in March 2007, died in
a boating accident on Friday while on holiday in Mombasa. He was 47
years old.

Officials of the company declined to reveal more details on the
circumstances surrounding Mr Joseph’s death as the family had
requested for privacy on the matter.

Africa Online is a subsidiary of Telkom South Africa and Mr Joseph
was also a director of UUNET Ltd.

Reacting to the death, Telkom CEO Reuben September said, “John was an
invaluable member of our team, a larger than life character who had
been integral to establishing and building the Africa Online brand
and developing a portfolio of service offerings across all segments
in nine African countries.

“We are deeply saddened by his passing and on behalf of the company;
I would like to convey my deepest condolences to John’s family and
friends, as well as staff at Africa Online.”

Before ascending to the CEO position at Africa Online, Mr Joseph had
occupied various positions at Telkom since 1995. In 2000, he was
tasked with establishing Telkom Wholesale Marketing.

“John made a tremendous contribution in realizing Telkom’s ambition
to play a leading ICT services provider role on the continent. He
will be sorely missed, “said Mr September.

A new CEO has not yet been appointed and the management of Telkom is
set to appoint his replacement soon, said a statement sent to
newsrooms.

_______