[kictanet] What should the Investment Policy Be?

mwananchi at hushmail.com mwananchi at hushmail.com
Fri Oct 17 10:21:08 EAT 2008

Walu,

Asante for setting the stage for policy discussions on FDI as
relates to ICT policy.

First and foremost, it is important to offer views as to some of
the real causes of local investors failing to meet capital
requirements.

The points on this need not be belaboured. I believe we are making
a scapegoat out of the wrong parties in order to punish other
legitimate local investors through arbitrary changes in investment
policies.

In all the mentioned cases of capital issues, it is quite clear it
was the duty of the regulator to conduct due diligence on the
bidding consortia financial capacities. Had the regulator conducted
this duty, we would not have had bidding entities that were near
bankruptcy or in virtual bankruptcy itself sailing past the pre
qualification stage and somehow beating industry giants with
trillions (not billions) of shillings in turnover complete with
their international experience and expertise in operations
including in Uganda, Tanzania and tens of other countries, and then
failing to pay for licence fees for years as they use the licence
as an "asset" to shop for funding to pay for it.

It is a rather simple matter to conclude that if one has Ksh 100,
in the bank that one cannot afford to write a check for Ksh 10000.
This is why we should stop blaming local investors as a group and
focus on these repeated failures to conduct due diligence. The
insolvency of one such member of a consortium that last bid in the
last major tender points to a complete failure in due diligence.

Secondly inept and poor tendering procedures have led to credible
international investors ditching Kenya. This results in bidding
entities that lack the type of financials any major bank would be
happy to work with. Why would international bidders who have
succeeded across Africa and in our neighbouring countries keep
being disqualified on suspect reasons while relatively unknown and
untested non performers sail through with high marks only to
disappoint? Why should bidders keep spending anywhere from
US$500,000 to US$1m or more bidding when its indisputable that they
are amongst the best in the world only for novices and unknowns in
the industry to score so highly then fail to deliver to Kenyans for
years on end?

Even if the local investors had healthy financials, by virtue of
being co-shareholders with international entities that no bank is
eager to touch, they are as good as sunk when it comes to obtaining
funding for capital intensive projects.

We seem to quickly forget that when investment policy demanded 40%
equity holding by local shareholders, it did not deter Vodafone and
Vivendi from coming to Kenya with 60% stakes. If the opportunities
are there, there will always be takers as long as one is assured of
fair play in the process. Confidence once dented is a difficult
thing to rebuild.

The failure by the regulator to conduct due diligence and failures
in tendering process are scaring away the type of international
operators whose name recognition alone would be sufficient for
local investors to walk into banks and obtain funding for their
capital contributions.

Take the findings for instance from the then named Public
Procurement Complaints Review and Appeals Board in regards to the
first SNO tender.

"Taking into account the critical failure in evaluation by CCK and
also the interference in the tender process and disclosure of
information by CCK, we find that the procurement process has been
seriously flawed and compromised," the board concluded.

or

An article in the Sunday Standard, "How Broke Company Won Tender",
September 18 2005, citing KACC officials investigating the matter
of the 3rd mobile licence tender before investigations were
prematurely and suddenly interrupted by certain interests:

"Initial investigations by the Kenya Anti-Corruption Commission
into the award of the license in 2003 show that two of the major
shareholders in consortium were had financial difficulties at the
time of the award.
With the other partners not being financially stable, the
consortium fell short of the minimum financial requirements by well
over $80 million."

Why is it that KACC is able to see what the regulator apparently
did not see or realise?

For these and other reasons we cannot continue to solely blame the
vast majority of local investors. We must place blame failure on
the lack of financial due diligence and failed tendering procedures
that instead attract the types of international investors that
banks would not feel comfortable dealing with due to their lack of
a lengthy track record and weak financials that don't suit capital
intensive projects.

So let us look at the root causes, not the symptoms and tackle
those root causes instead, majority of which lie within our
institutions to resolve the problems. Foreigners while welcome to
invest in Kenya should not be thought of as the number one solution
when the problems that cause local investors problems lie within
institutions and policies. That said views on FDI per ICT policies
will be forthcoming separately.

Peterson

--
Click here for free information on how to reduce your debt by filing for bankruptcy.
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4elLzQmCONnCaK286MVblIR30PBBcRba4a4pkAW8vhHCsHk2/