[kictanet] Kenya opens door to foreign telecoms investors

John Maina j.maina at ymail.com
Mon Oct 13 00:32:37 EAT 2008

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: nmatunda <matunda at hotmail.com>
To: picta-kenya at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2008 3:14:36 PM
Subject: [picta-kenya] Re: Kenya opens door to foreign telecoms investors

Mike,

I am with you 200% on this.

Every country must always act in its self-interest; this move by the PS is deplorable and not in line with long term Kenyan interests, especially in as a lucrative area as ICT.

In my books, we invite foreigners for such things as (a) financing (which by the way Kenyans have shown can be raised locally), (b) operations and management experience & knowledge transfer, (c) relationships that we can leverage through any such joint ventures, etc. Joint ventures can also cushion enterprises from predatory illegalities, especially given our weak legal dispute resolution structures! Of the latter, remember when heads of state corporations used to queue up with money bags to state house to prop up the Moi excesses! Or when companies could be shaken down for political donations at a whim!

For me, a good (not ideal!) joint venture is one of the kind that Kenya Airways went into with KLM, when KA had been run down by politically connected individuals. KLM brought in management and operations experience, facilitated KA's access to markets and routes that KA otherwise couldn't easily access and in the process the KA brand rose, as did profits and more! The investment has paid well for Kenyans and KLM; a win-win.

There is a lesson to be learnt from the current American financial crisis with respect to experiences in Canada. This country has been under pressure to deregulate its financial services sector for the longest time. Banks have argued that they needed mergers to allow them to compete globally; and that they needed global partners that would help them grow and extend their reach.

Canadian government have constantly refused mergers or the kind of deregulation the industry sought! Their argument: the interest of the common person whose priority banks should be.

Guess what? In the present crisis, Canada has come substantially well ahead of the US and others. And for what reason: they stood against unfettered deregulaion! and they stood up for the interest of Canadians.

I ask all yee this question: who is standing for the interest of Kenyans in this open invitation to exploitation?

Dr Ndemo needs to be stopped, I am afraid!

Unedited.

Matunda Nyanchama
--- In picta-kenya@ yahoogroups. com, "matunda25" <matunda at ...> wrote:

> --- In picta-kenya@ yahoogroups. com, "matunda25" matunda@ wrote:
> >

> > --- In picta-kenya@ yahoogroups. com, "Mike Theuri" mike.theuri@
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Once again the PS uses the Econet fiasco to put foreigners ahead of
> > Kenyans
> > > while failing to acknowledge that the failure to pay by Econet was a
> > result
> > > of failure within his own docket and the regulator.  Ndemo and the
> > regulator
> > > illegally licenced an operator whose financial books were in the red
> > and
> > > that by extension it was obvious that there was no sane bank that
> > would
> > > have funded the local component of the consortium if the foreign
> > component
> > > was in such poor financial health. The regulator simply failed to
> > conduct
> > > its fiduciary duties to the Kenyan public by failing to conduct
> proper
> > due
> > > diligence on the licencee.
> > >
> > > A sworn affidavit by the Econet CFO backs these facts when it states
> > that
> > > the company had no money to the extent that an unscrupulous european
> > vendor
> > > (acting in an anti-competitive manner possibly contrary to EU
> > anti-trust
> > > regulations) sold equipment worth $15m for $15,000 which was the
> only
> > way
> > > the licencee could go to a bank to present an "asset" as their
> balance
> > sheet
> > > was useless in this regard (see extract of affidavit page 13, item
> > 17.1).
> > >
> > > These are the types of foreigners the PS is so eager to fight for at
> > the
> > > expense of the progression of indigenous Kenyans. The PS blames
> > ordinary
> > > Kenyans but conveniently forgets that some well known international
> > > operators pulled out of the SNO tender without submitting a bid
> > because of
> > > the known shenanigans of public relations exercises where a winner
> is
> > > already known long before a tender is announced.
> > >
> > > How does Kenya stand to gain when investors are 100% foreign? Are
> they
> > > Kenyans masquerading as foreigners mobitelea style waiting to
> receive
> > the
> > > licence he plans to issue in 18 months? Are they the Libyans Ndemo
> > > promised access to the Kenyan economy when he signed away access to
> > the
> > > Kenyan economy?  Countries such as India which the PS fondly refers
> > as
> > > newly industrialized countries demand that foreign investors engage
> in
> [...]
__._,_.___
Messages in this topic  (4)  Reply  (via web post)  | Start a new topic

Visit Your Group  | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use  | Unsubscribe
Recent Activity
	*  2
New MembersVisit Your Group
Moderator Central