[kictanet] Malaysia/Policy Clarifications

Eric M.K Osiakwan emko at internetresearch.com.gh
Fri Oct 10 14:26:41 EAT 2008

Dear Dr. Ndemo,

Thanks for a good detailing and i totally agree with you on the
growth in Malaysia. I made a trip there last year because i was
curious about what i had read and seen about the same country that
attained independence as Ghana with three times less our GDP in 1957.
However in celebrating our 50th anniversary in 2007, Ghana compares
no where near Malaysia.

As a matter of fact Malaysia learnt palm plantation from Ghana and
yet they have out grown us in the palm production, process and
distribution and that is the basis of their "wealth" creation a
nation. Two things i found very stricking and most of my friends
there confirmed was sound leadership and a national (closed their
tribal and political ranks) commitment to 5 and 10 years development
plans which have being consistent till now. Ghana on the other hand
"assassinated" our founding President and since then had a
consistency of civil unrest so could not commit as a nation to 5 or
10 year development plans though we had them on paper. Most people
argue that African has had bad leadership but i say, we killed the
"amazing" founding leaders God gave us whiles the Asians allowed
thier to lead them. In many ways than not one could ascribe all kinds
of tendancies to Mahatia Mohammed but Malaysia hails him because they
allowed him to lead - there is no perfect leader.

Now, let me jump to the subject of FDIs. We should not let the
opportunity slip us by but we must be careful not to be exploited.
The World Economic Forum has consistently reported Africa to be the
most profitable market, yet it is the least developed so the issue is
"capital flight" and in other cases a few "wealth redistribution".
The billion dollar question is, in formulating a strategic policy,
how do you ensure that the foreign investors invest in the country or
continent so all the profit does not get repatraited? Okay, the
profit would always be repatraited but how do you ensure the
investment creates room for your private entrepreneur and investors.

When you look at the Telecom industry, only the ISP sector in most
countries has local indegenous participation and the examples you
mention below are clear but how do you ensure much more local
ownership. Point is if you empower the local private sector to create
wealth, there is a much likely possibility that most of it would be
in the country and make impact. The Malaysians found a way of
empowering their local private sector, whiles there you would see how
much of the great stuff is owned by locals.

So for me, the question is not about being nationalistic but rather a
"strategic policy intervention which ensures foreign participation in
a way that empowers the local investors or entrepreneur"?

Have a good weekend.

Eric M.K Osiakwan
ICT Integrator
Internet Research