[kictanet] Tandaa - An Honest Analysis

S.Murigi Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 17:07:02 EAT 2008

It is worth noting that the Kenya ICT Board is sponsoring events that we
very much need in Kenya.

Think Mr. Kukubo clearly articulated that anything that we add value to
in Kenya or anything that adds value to Kenya has a Kenyan element to it.

A document typed using Google Apps, Open Office or Microsoft Word could
be Kenyan because of the person doing it, the content in it or location
from which it is done (typed).

A good question to ask is whether gmail, yahoo mail or hotmail addresses
owned by Kenyans are Kenyan or not. What do we say when Google Kenya
builds a data center in Kenya?

Those who customize or extend (add functionality) to open source or
Microsoft software in Kenya make it Kenyan in one way or the other.
Cisco Networks in Kenya  carrying Kenyan data (content) are Kenyan in
their own way.

Does Kenyan law not recognize Multi-National Corporations (MNC's)
registered in Kenya as somehow Kenyan? Some of these MNC's are even
locally managed by hard core Kenyans.

Some Tandaa 2008 bits I remember

NMG - Starting some social network and tried to justify their advert
charges.

Cellulant - Mobile networks growing faster than the internet - relevant
mobile content is a hot commodity even without the internet.

Kencall - Building a '911' emergency response network in conjunction
with government, Cisco and others. USD 50 Million being invested.

Rich.co.ke - ad based - targeting 1.5 million youth who will be able to
more affordable connect to the internet over the next year or so.

Africanpoint.com - Has generated USD 2 Million in revenues up to date
(if not in the last year).

Google.co.ke - Presented awards to innovative students they have been
working with. (Mine: Like Nokia they must be commended for bringing a
software engineer or two to Kenya to work with our youth. Microsoft
needs to pay more attention to our youth even if corporates pay their
bills).

Skunkworks (they are mainly open source geeks and proponents) - Alex
Gakuru explained the principles behind skunkworks and its origins.

Storymojaafrica.com - Geeks need to learn to communicate with normal
human beings. Should know intelligence exists outside their world.

Capital FM / Mobile - They have an online phone directory. Africans with
entertaining British accents and a high opinion of Macdonald's.

Homeboyz.co.ke - Very Funky! Seem to have quite a profitable act making
high school and college kids party!

Kenyanpoet.Blogspot.Com - For the Artistic types or wannabes.

Missed talks: Dr. Juma Oketch, PS, Dr. Bitange Ndemo, Cisco IBSG (Prof.
Spencer).

Maybe they could e-mail links or ppts to us.