[kictanet] FW: Mars Group Kenya Updates - WHAT'S UP WITH THE TANDAA CONFERENCE? THE TRUTH ABOUT WHERE THE GOVERNMENT OF

Paul Kukubo pkukubo at ict.go.ke
Thu Nov 13 17:01:24 EAT 2008

Gitau

Interesting... The Website for Tandaa www.tandaa.co.ke has been designed and
developed by some of our local developers on their own time and resources as
part of providing a platform for dialogue for the emerging content
development community.

The ICT Board is very grateful. If there is a local company willing to
provide free web hosting supporting all the features we shall eventually
require for this particular website, we will gladly welcome the gesture.

Your sincerely

Paul Kukubo
CEO Kenya ICT Board

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:54 PM, P Gitau Githongo <pgitau at githongo.com>wrote:

>  Different perspectives on the Tandaa conference.....
>

> WHAT'S UP WITH THE TANDAA CONFERENCE? THE TRUTH ABOUT WHERE THE GOVERNMENT
> OF
>
> KENYA SITS IN CYBERSPACE.
>

> Blue Host dot Com?  Why would a Kenya Government Local Content Initiative
> be
>
> hosted on Blue Host (and only for 1 year) I wondered – isn't it one of
> those
>
> cheap web hosting companies – is it dignified for the GOK to be on
> something
>
> as generic as Blue Host?  And we are talking about a USD 4 million grant.
>

> Moving on, I pondered, are there any other Government Agencies hosted on
> Blue
>
> Host?  What I found was far worse than I could possibly have imagined.  The
>
> Government of Kenya who should be the greatest provider of local content is
>
> housed almost 99% on foreign owned servers – albeit less well known than
> Blue
>
> Host.  Among these are:
>

> The French owned Telkom Hazina.Treasury.Go.Ke (used to be ours – but was
> sold
>
> just before the election)
>

> Something called Puck.Nether.Net – which sits on something called
>
> Deathstar.Org
>

> Very interesting indeed.  Both the host of the Kenya Local Content
> Conference
>
> and the Government of Kenya have for whatever reason chosen to place their
>
> content on servers which are not Kenyan owned.  What a vote of confidence!.
>

> You will be shocked to see where Government of Kenya sits in cyberspace….
>

> Read more at….. http://blog.marsgroupkenya.org/?p=397
>

> www.marsgroupkenya.org
>

> Watching Out For You

Paul Kukubo
Chief Executive Officer, Kenya ICT Board
PO Box 27150 - 00100
Nairobi, Kenya

CCK Offices Waiyaki Way

Tel direct: +254 20 2089062/251152