[kictanet] FW: Mars Group Kenya Updates - WHAT'S UP WITH THE TANDAA CONFERENCE? THE TRUTH ABOUT WHERE THE GOVERNMENT OF

P Gitau Githongo pgitau at githongo.com
Thu Nov 13 15:54:42 EAT 2008

Different perspectives on the Tandaa conference.....

WHAT'S UP WITH THE TANDAA CONFERENCE? THE TRUTH ABOUT WHERE THE GOVERNMENT
OF

KENYA SITS IN CYBERSPACE.

Blue Host dot Com?  Why would a Kenya Government Local Content Initiative be

hosted on Blue Host (and only for 1 year) I wondered - isn't it one of those

cheap web hosting companies - is it dignified for the GOK to be on something

as generic as Blue Host?  And we are talking about a USD 4 million grant.

Moving on, I pondered, are there any other Government Agencies hosted on
Blue

Host?  What I found was far worse than I could possibly have imagined.  The

Government of Kenya who should be the greatest provider of local content is

housed almost 99% on foreign owned servers - albeit less well known than
Blue

Host.  Among these are:

The French owned Telkom Hazina.Treasury.Go.Ke (used to be ours - but was
sold

just before the election)

Something called Puck.Nether.Net - which sits on something called

Deathstar.Org

Very interesting indeed.  Both the host of the Kenya Local Content
Conference

and the Government of Kenya have for whatever reason chosen to place their

content on servers which are not Kenyan owned.  What a vote of confidence!.

You will be shocked to see where Government of Kenya sits in cyberspace..

Read more at... http://blog.marsgroupkenya.org/?p=397

www.marsgroupkenya.org <http://www.marsgroupkenya.org/>

Watching Out For You