[kictanet] Tunaenda White House! Obama! Obama!! Obama!!!

Crystal Watley crystal at voicesofafrica.org
Thu Nov 6 10:00:57 EAT 2008

Dear friends,

But as we celebrate please remember that there are those who are not
celebrating with us. There are those for whom the old system, the old power,
and the old control were comfortable. There are those who will plot against
us and will seek to destroy.

We have surely made it a long way from the anti-war protests, IMF rallys,
and other actions our international voice has been heard. This is a victory
for more than Africa. It is a momentous occasion in the history of a
movement. A movement for fairness, equality, and justice. A movement I have
watched and participated in for more than 10 years. I am so proud of my
country for making the right decision. To stop the impuny, to stop the
greed, corruption, and other ills that PLAGUE all of our societes. And most
of all for the green light to say YES WE CAN. We can make a better world. We
can end injustice.

Here at VOA we have dedicated ourselves to eradicating poverty in the
villages of Kenya and as we grow we hope to spread our wings across Africa.
Obama's campaign was fought on many fronts. We have been utilizing similiar
strategies using ICT to build a network worldwide. We have suffered in the
villages with no money. We have shared what little the people had and given
all that we could. Now we are primed and ready to take on more and the plans
are being formulated. We need all the help we can get as the war against
injustice is still raging on. Our people are still dying. While we have won
a MAJOR victory, we cannot lose sight of our objectives.

VOA celebrated Obama's victory yesterday with our class of 23 students in
Mariakani. We went to a local village restaurant and order a goat. No we did
not order prepared goat. We order A GOAT. We watched the news and played
Kenyan music. We laughed and sang and had a fantastic time. I told them how
much this day meant to me as an American and how much it meant to OUR
nation, At one point they started chanting Yes We Can. These are simple
village youths. None of them has ever been to a college or university. They
have basic computer skills but are learning so quickly and their confidence
is growing. From day one when they were afraid to talk to now when they are
asking me of they can have have their own radio station! We are launching 6
telecentre projects by March of 2009. One is already underway in Likoni on
the south coast of Mombasa. The youth we have been working with are
incredible and dynamic. They have lacked hope and opportunity. We have told
them that they can be leaders in their villages and work to eradicate
poverty. The students have been working on their own community poverty
surveys to begin their monitoring and evaluation needs assessment study.
These telecentres will be theirs. We are only assisting them to reach their
potential. If Obama had not had people to love and help me along his way he
would not be where he is today. The youth of Kenya need the same love,
support, and opportunity to achieve their potential.

The time for change is now and we are the ones to do it. We cannot leave our
villages behind.

Many blessings,

Crystal

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Monica Kerretts-Makau
<mkmakau at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

>  JUST AS RACE SEIZED TO BE AN ISSUE IN AMERICAN ELECTIONS LET US HOPE THE
> DREAM FOR KENYA WILL ONE DAY BE THAT TRIBALISM WILL BE A NONE ISSUE BOTH IN
> POLITICAL RHETORIC AND IN THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY PROCESSES.
>
> Monica Kerretts-Makau
>

> On 5/11/08 3:13 PM, "Catherine Adeya" <elizaslider at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Connie,
>
> This one I had to respond to....there has been so much many forwards etc.
> but this one succinctly covers what you have written below............
>
> ................MLK Jnr your dream is alive!!!
>
> Nyaki

> *From:* Constance Georgina Khaendi Walyaro <
> constance at youthaidscoalition.org>

Crystal "Naliaka" Watley
Voices of Africa
crystal at voicesofafrica.org
http://www.voicesofafrica.org/

"You must be the change you wish to see" - Gandhi