[kictanet] Private Sector Roles (activities, motives & challenges) Day 6 of 10

Leonard Mware mleonardo at yahoo.com
Mon May 26 13:36:59 EAT 2008

Walu,
  The private sector has been active in the ict4d sector. when you look at cfsk website for example, you will see the support that the private sector gives CFSK. The question is: what is the motive for support from the private sector? what do they stand to gain by supporting ict4d especially int he education sector? One can see straight away that although Microsoft for example gives licenses, they have a long term strategic objective. Mobile phones will play a central role in ICT development in this country so when Safaricom dontes for ICT development in the country, is there a link with its growth strategy?
  I think Multi Stakeholder Partnership (MSP) between all players will be critical but the private sector should also ensure that their objectives in that kind of partnership is understood. At the moment few people understand or ask why they are involved.
  Leonard

John Walubengo <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Thanx Tim for your resourceful link below. I see it will
also come in handy particularly towards the end of the week
when we discuss various PPP models.

Meanwhile, Today is Day 6 of 10 and I want to have one last
shot on Private Sector roles in ICT4D. It looks like the
Private Sector dont want to blow their own trumpet, could
someone share on their behalf?

I for one know Cisco is doing alot particularly on the
Education side where they have sponsored the so called
CISCO Academies. They donate Study Kits and Equipment to
train Networking Professionals at a subsidized rate.
Ofcourse they do so through partnership with Educational
institutions but I thought it is worth noting this kind of
initiatives.

Any other?

walu.
NB: meanwhile, feel free to comment on previous themes.
Like Brian's late intervention on Civil Society roles, all
are welcome.

=== message truncated ===

This message was sent to: mleonardo at yahoo.com