[kictanet] Existing Policy Frameworks for ICT4D- Day 2 of 10

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Tue May 20 14:42:11 EAT 2008

Sorry for getting back a bit later on this... Tim asked
what frameworks we refer to here.  Basically, we want to
understand if the governance structures for the various
ICT4D initiatives - from each of the three main
stakeholders perspectives i.e The Civil Society, the
Private Sector and the Public Sector.

My understanding is that the Public Sector (mainly
government) does have specific policies on how they plan to
deliver ICTs for Development.  At least there are clauses
in the Kenyan ICT poilicies that guide these
initiatives...as noted by Barrack below.

On the Private Sector side my observation has been that
most  companies have some sort of CSR, Corporate Social
Responsibility wing that tries to channel money in these
initiatives.

Finally, my take on the Civil society (NGOs) in particular
source funds from the West for these initiatives and
probably each donor partner decides how and if it is
well-spent.

So Tim, the theme was prompting a discussion on whether the
above is the true position and possibly if there is a need
to  have better governance structures in the area of ICT4D.

walu.

http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/tim.unwin%40rhul.ac.uk

http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/otieno.barrack%40gmail.com