[kictanet] Public Servants and blogging

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 16:58:17 EAT 2008

'Technology vs (perceived)Power'...

that's really what blogging for a civil servant in .KE
would boil down to. A typical civil servant (except
ofcourse some enlightened few) would often get overwhelmed
by their immense powers.  Power is often considered to be
an inverse function of 'Reachability'.   Put differently,
the 'Less Reachable' you are, the 'More Powerful' you
presumably become.

That is why getting Passport/ID Card/Land Registration/etc
used to be a nightmare (Less Reachable) so that you get to
appreciate the 'Power' needed to deliver the service. Now,
we know very well that Blogs, email, and other Web2.0
technologies make you extremely reachable/accessible. And
from the hard-core civil servant perspective that would
'presumably' make you less powerful, disrupting your old
'value-chain'...

Until and unless the wider general civil service snaps out
of this self-inflicted conflict of 'Power vs Service' many
technologies will come and pass by...web1.0, web2.0,
web-whatever...

So the moral of the story is:-Government is indeed aware of
these technologies, but is there a sufficient and critical
mass of civil servants willing to drop their old and
twisted model of the value-chain? And are they sufficiently
motivated to actively participate in creatively destroying
their the old mentality in order to lay the foundation for
the future? Maybe Not....

walu (probably the 1st civil servant blogger ;-)
http://jwalu.blogspot.com/

kictanet-bounces+harry=africanedevelopment.org at lists.kictanet.or.ke